Rotaprint R95 user manual

Rowenf

I recently purchased a Rotaprint R95 printer but have no idea on how to operate it. I have worked for years on an AB Dick 9840 machine. Is there any-one that can explain to me how this machine works?:)

There isn't much to learn. great old machines (i may have rose tinted spectacles). Basically hit the big button on the handle to start the motor, Take the lever on the top down to the first position to damp the plate, after a few seconds take it down to the second position to put the inkers on to the plate. Then press the left of the buttons to start feeding and the right button to stop feeding. Vacuum adjustment is the knurled knob collar on the start feeding knob. To turn the ink vibrator on and off is the pull out button to the right of the stop feeding button. To stop the press simply turn the large handle a little in either direction. Speed control is down by your knees, but only seems to control how violently the machine shakes :)

I think that's pretty well remembered after 20 years. Have fun

There isn't much to learn. great old machines (i may have rose tinted spectacles). Basically hit the big button on the handle to start the motor, Take the lever on the top down to the first position to damp the plate, after a few seconds take it down to the second position to put the inkers on to the plate. Then press the left of the buttons to start feeding and the right button to stop feeding. Vacuum adjustment is the knurled knob collar on the start feeding knob. To turn the ink vibrator on and off is the pull out button to the right of the stop feeding button. To stop the press simply turn the large handle a little in either direction. Speed control is down by your knees, but only seems to control how violently the machine shakes :)

I think that's pretty well remembered after 20 years. Have fun

Rotaprint had an interesting roller train. I would expect that it printed quite well relative to mechanical ghosting and starvation ghosting.

Can you provide some comments on how it performed.

Thanks. Just very curious. I saw a brochure about 20 years ago but I have never had the opportunity to ask anyone who has run that little press.

I never printed jobs that really tested it's rolling power. Business cards, letterheads, comp slip and envelopes. The 'challenge' was chasing the register when printing the second colour on dl envelopes. The integrated 'rotafount' dampening worked well though. Later machines with molleton dampers and stroker sidelays weren't as good in my opinion.

As an apprentice I used to look at the 'enormous' Heidelberg MO and think how difficult it must be to run such a big press. little did I know they got easier!

Hi Stu

Many thanks for your reply. You make it sound so easy!:) There are however a number of knobs that I do not know the use of, but as I work on the machine I will ask. I intend to do colour work on the machine, but do not know how to set the jockey. Can you perhaps give me a run down of the knobs on the it? Table height, and bucket control settings are very important on the AB Dick that I use. Is it so sensitive on the RotaPrint and where would these settings be on this machine? Sorry for the amount of questions, but it seems to me that you will be my main source of information for the next few weeks (that is if you don't mind)!

Regards

Rowen (from a wet Cape Town in South Africa)

Wow Rowen
You're going to test my memory here. Firstly what is the 'jockey' and 'bucket control' You may need to send me pics so I can identify the parts.
The sucker tilt was behind the flip open panel to the right of the feed pile lift handle.
The green and red buttons were just to turn the air on and off.
The blow for the feeder pile was down to the right of the feed pile.
The ink sweep was the thumb dial to the right of the ductor roller.
The dampening control was to the right of the water fountain rollers. You would set it to maximum to ink up the dampers and also when you washed up.

regards

Stuart (from a just as wet Luton, England)

I installed a press at Cape Town Parliament a few years ago. I had a great time there.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back