Rotation board

A_L_E_X

What is a rotation board and what does it do ? Can i dezactivate it to speed up the RIP process ? I use Brisque RIP 4.1.

Hi Alex,
Rotation board is not part of RIP process. It is a hardware board (PCI card) on your Brisque that does one specific thing: it rotates intermediate CT and LW data 90 degrees.
Now, it sounds cryptic, so some relatively lengthy explanations are in order.
Brisque is a ROOM (Rip Once Output Many) workflow, where RIP and Expose are separate steps. So its RIP produces intermediate CT and LW files that comprise (together with some metadata files) what is known as a Brisque Job. The moment the job is created, RIP finished its task,and you'll see Job folder created on disk. Now the job can be exposed - that is, intermediate format data are screened on the fly ( in another hardware board - TSP screening board) and send to imaging device.
Now, what's the role of Rotation board? Suppose one has two different imaging devices - one of them CTP and another one legacy CTF ( rather common occurrence ten-twelve years ago). And drum orientation on CTP device just happens to be exactly perpendicular to one for CTF device; 8-up CTP plate sits on a drum 90 degrees rotated compared to a 8-up film on a CTF.
So in order to send _THE SAME RIPPED JOB_ to both devices you need to rotate data on the fly for one of them ( for which one - depends on what was the orientation you chose to RIP your data). And that is Rotation board function.
Now to answer your question - if you do not have a mixture of devices with different orientations, you can organize your templates in such a way that you don't need to rotate - just RIP in proper orientation and in Expose template choose not to rotate.
Don't count on speeding up the RIP process, though. Rotate step is part of Fetch/Expose step and the whole purpose of Rotation board is to serve as hardware accelerator, so that if you have a queue of jobs, RIP and Fetch/Rotate are faster than actual Expose, and your imager is already working at full throughput, being actually the slowest element in your pipeline.

Well, I'm a Kodak man ( formerly Scitex, CreoScitex and Creo one).
Incidentally, I wrote the software for this board, so it's rather reasonable for me to know what this damned thing is supposed to do :)

So there is no way to get rid of this rotation ? It takes abous 3 minutes to rotate or whatever it does although i make the rotation from RIP.

There is - as I stated in my answer. RIP in desired orientation and edit Expose template to cancel rotation (or do it in Expose dialogue per each job, if you prefer so).
Looks like you don't queue jobs - otherwise, the question "to rotate or not to rotate" would be irrelevant.

I am going to revive this thread. I recently had to purchase a used Brisque running version 4 to replace one that died. I use it as a "tiff catcher"

On my previous brisque, I was able to get the orientation correct so that the brisque didn't have to "fetch" I have had to built my new templates and I cannot figure out to stop the brisque from "fetching".

I assume this thread is talking about exactly that, however I cannot figure out how to "cancel the rotation"

Thanks in Advance, Bill

Got it

Got it

I had to go to file info>preferences>output>plate expose and turn on the "allow input orientation selection"

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back