Used Xerox strategy - Color 1000i

SoggyWinter

I got notified that our V3100 will be end of parts and toner in a few months. I speculate that our spike in spare parts consumption (2nd BTRs, fuser belts, fuser, etc) got flagged and we are well past our 60 month lease expiration.

The concerns with leasing new equipment are being forced into just in time inventory for parts and consumables (in Alaska this means frequent downtime due to freight being slow), being at the mercy of poorly trained and/or rushed service technicians, and having to buy toner in addition to paying clicks which appears to double the incremental cost of press.

I'm strongly considering picking up a Xerox Color 1000i for cover media and a couple of C75/J75s to run lightweight media. We run 100-200k per month total. I'm confident in our ability to maintain these machines on our own as long as parts and consumables are available. These older machines are inexpensive enough that their purchase wouldn't be a big financial risk, particularly compared with a leased machine that we can't work on that may be down for weeks at a time, but still require lease payments.

What do you guys think?

I would think that parts for the J75 would be harder to find than for the Versant. Could you keep the V3100 and service yourself? You can rebuild the 2nd BTR's and fusers for the Versant. You'd still need to deal with shipping but take a look at Parts Drop for Xerox replacement parts.

Is the service any better from Ricoh/Sharp/Canon/KM in your area? When it comes to pay for print, uptime is a huge factor.

I've got service contracts for my Xerox equipment and I have a bunch of other machines (not printers) that I self-maintain/repair. I keep tools and spares of just about everything I think I may ever need, as down time is something that we try to keep to a minimum. With a little bit of outside help, this has worked very well for me over the years. If you're skilled enough to work on a Xerox color printer, I say go for it. You know for sure that the wait for contract service and parts hampers your business. If this fails, you could always get into another lease afterwards.

My former employer had the strategy of keeping old but not quite yet EOL machines “instead of pumping money into Xerox” (they definitely were still pumping a shit ton of money into Xerox as they had very expensive service contracts instead of a lease with a reasonable contract). Wouldn’t recommend it on anyone. My experience also with J75s is they are just not reliable enough machines when they were newer to think that this is a painless strategy.

I dunno man, I think you could end up with boat anchors; how much time are you willing to invest in servicing your own equipment, and what is the parts availability and cost like, and your ability to service them. 3 poorly running or down machines wouldn’t be ideal for business.

You can always be trained to service your own xerox equipment. I've been training customers for about 20 years now.

You can always be trained to service your own xerox equipment. I've been training customers for about 20 years now.
Nice. Is there a formal process that a Xerox customer can request, beyond the key operator training, a process that would get customer service manual access and the ability to order any parts SKU?

Last edited:
I got notified that our V3100 will be end of parts and toner in a few months. I speculate that our spike in spare parts consumption (2nd BTRs, fuser belts, fuser, etc) got flagged and we are well past our 60 month lease expiration.
@BigSi , weren't you looking at a used V3100? Might want to avoid since Xerox is declaring them EOL.

xerox 1000i is antique and xerox will not service it
Agreed! Even with a big expensive service contract, parts are disappearing, rebuilds parts are poor quality and techs are shifting focuses to newer machines. Do not buy a C1000i, you will run into the same issue as your V3100.

@BigSi , weren't you looking at a used V3100? Might want to avoid since Xerox is declaring them EOL.
BigSi is in new zealand where the v3100 is sold under the old fuji xerox partnership. From what I've seen the v3100i that theyre looking at over there was only released in 2020. They never got the v4100, models don't directly match normal xerox around the world.

BigSi is in new zealand where the v3100 is sold under the old fuji xerox partnership. From what I've seen the v3100i that theyre looking at over there was only released in 2020. They never got the v4100, models don't directly match normal xerox around the world.

Fuji renamed the big versant to the Revoria PC1100. I don't know what has changed and what has not changed beyond the front panel and device user interface being different and Fuji pushing their own RIP.

My ears are burning:). Yes the v4100 never came here. I'm always blown away by the number of clicks you guys throw around. In a country of only 5million not many printers' average much more than about 150k SRA3 colour per month and most would be less than 1/2 this.

The 3100i vs 4100 is a bit confusing. Since the 3100i was announced at the same time (2020) as the 4100, I assumed that they were the same machine, just different names. Fuji did the same thing with the 180, named the newer model the 180i and that was also announced at the same time as the 280 in 2020.

Just received a letter from Xerox that they are no longer supporting the 1000i we have had sitting in the warehouse the last 2 years. They stated supplies are only available for a limited time as well.

The concerns with leasing new equipment are being forced into just in time inventory for parts and consumables (in Alaska this means frequent downtime due to freight being slow), being at the mercy of poorly trained and/or rushed service technicians, and having to buy toner in addition to paying clicks which appears to double the incremental cost of press.

I'm strongly considering picking up a Xerox Color 1000i for cover media and a couple of C75/J75s to run lightweight media. We run 100-200k per month total. I'm confident in our ability to maintain these machines on our own as long as parts and consumables are available. These older machines are inexpensive enough that their purchase wouldn't be a big financial risk, particularly compared with a leased machine that we can't work on that may be down for weeks at a time, but still require lease payments.

What do you guys think?
Happy New Year,

If this is still relevant Soggy, we still have our CP1000 still running way past end of life and Its become almost impossible to get the parts at this point so I can't recommend going that route as far as a CP1000. Its a great machine when it runs none the less ;)

Regards,
Duncan

Happy New Year,

If this is still relevant Soggy, we still have our CP1000 still running way past end of life and Its become almost impossible to get the parts at this point so I can't recommend going that route as far as a CP1000. Its a great machine when it runs none the less ;)

Regards,
Duncan
Thanks. Partsdrop had a similar sentiment.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back