X8002 or C7000VP

Go back through recent threads, LOADS of info on the Canon. Not sure if there are any customer installations of the 8002 yet?

I have seen print samples from the 8002 and they are VERY impressive!

Quality is in the eye of the beholder, but I would recommend you see samples from both engines on a variety of media (coated/uncoated).

The new Xerox product still uses fuser oil. This can often lead to shinny toner on uncoated media. This can also be the cause of uneven light reflectance of heavy coverage/darker areas vs the rest of the imaged area vs. the substrate itself under normal viewing conditions.

Just a disclaimer that I have not seem output from the new device and I know one of their new claims is more of a matte finish for their toner, but if someone is printing on a high gloss media - is toner with a matte finishing achieving the correct/desired effect?

Rampestrek,

The Xerox 8002 does have a matte look with the low-gloss toner, so the matte vs. glossy discussion doesn’t exist as it did for the DocuColor 5000, 7000, and 8000 (and the AP versions). Fusing oil isn’t a bad thing, it is just a different technology for getting the prints done.

I don’t want to get hung up on that because I think color consistency and matching spot colors is even more important to consider when comparing the two engines. The Xerox 8002 has Automated Color Quality for not only color matching, but to help maintain consistent image quality, and automatic calibration (no more of that fun manual calibration at the RIP).

And you can chain finishing together now too… a full-bleed saddle stitcher and a GBC punch can be put inline together (and the punch puts the coil in too).

So when it comes to quality, check out the look of the prints, but pay close attention to color consistency and accuracy, and all the other capabilities (registration, service) that come along for the ride.

I've seen an 8002 and the quality of the print looks quite ok. I've printed a difficult test and the print was very ok for a digital printer. Neutral gray tests, along with pantone matching showed me good results. I didn.t seen any output from Canon, but ACQS look to me like an unique feature which is worth more than half of the press value (consistency and control over color management).

A

From what I've seen, the Canon has offset like quality prints and some of the best color consistancy of any digital press. It doesn't use a fuser oil and has a technology called Gloss Optimization that matches the gloss of the toner to the gloss of the paper. No other digital press has this feature. I was at the Print 09 show and checked out the 8002 and all the prints looked very shiny to me. I actually thought the prints off of their lower end 700 looked better, but that's a copier, not a digital press.

I would still run sample files on both machines for a true comparison.

Regarding color consistency during a run, an internal measurement and correction method is not a unique feature to any one manufacturer. The canon product has real time calibration, which is comprised of internal density measurements of each colorant during a run to achieve consistency. I would suggest a longer test run during a demo on both units.

The canon product calibration is very simple process that takes a total of about 10 minutes to perform.

I do admit, Ldk9255, that I'm a bit biased regarding the fuser oil ;-). It was good running into you at the show.

I can't speak for the 8002, but our C7000VP has been great. Color consistency and accuracy is great and we've experienced little downtime with it.

Hopefully Canon has worked the bugs out of it by now, when I demoed it I was impressed but after my experience with Canon I chose to go with another manufacture.

Xerox

Xerox

From my experience Xerox is Xerox. When I put Xerox Docucolour 240 in my print shop most of the problems are gone. Before I used Canon and Ricoh but now I am free from stress.:eek:

Just an fyi it's not always all sunshine and roses with Xerox, every manufacture will have troubles, Xerox just seems to be quicker to respond... at least in the US.

From what I hear, most of the people who have had problems were the early buyers. The latest ones seem to have all the "bugs" worked out and seem to run great.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back