Xerox 700i questions:(

magnetas

Hey guys,

Got a Xerox 700i: as far as I can understand, it is hard to print smaller things, like business cards. There is always a slight rotation on the image to the right, like one mm. Then it is impossible to cut straight. Sure it is possible to try to adjust that, the machine lets you do that, but: then I need to make a proof for every job I do? That is costing money and time. As the paper for every job is different, so the mismatch is usually different.
There is also a problem with duplex - sometimes the difference is even up to 2 mm. Even with the thing called tray alignment:)
Today the machine started to point a paper jam, which was not at all, and that is when printing an amount of 150 pages of SRA3, 300 gsm. Maybe it is the thickness of the paper which causes that? The 7th tray at the bottom is usually in use for this paper printing.
Did You guys have some problems like that?
I am using Quite Impose, as the native in Fiery Command Workstation is a crap. Maybe there are some things which are important to look at in the impose? Do You guys have some imposition to show and help? Cause I am desperate:) Thing is, I just kinda started to print digitally, so maybe i do not know some important things to look at?
Thank You! My mail is: [email protected]

Tip: When duplexing thicker stocks, you may get better performance by using short grain instead of long grain (it bends easier around the duplex curve). Sounds like you need to place a service call, if the printer is showing you false jams. As I examine the 700i product specifications - +/- 1mm front to back registration is within the specs of that printer.

I can get my registration extremely tight with my 700. It sounds like you need to program some profiles for all your stock. You only need to do it once and it is set.

Totally common. Set up time on digital is nothing compared to conventional printing. Some adjustments are needed from time to time.

I tried today. It seems I need to profile each paper I use. Will try to do that and see what happens.
Also discovered that the paper is not straight: I am missing 1mm or a little more on the corners:( So probably a talk with the paper supplier is required. All of the users in the country are printing the A4 jobs on SRA3, as it is cheaper (two of A4 on SRA3) and cutting it. There is a big problem with cutting, as the paper is not straight and the image is being printed not straight also..

Stop buying cheep paper! If you start with crooked you will end with more crooked!!! Get your sheets cut from the mill, not some parent sheet cut on a cutter that may or may not cut square.

700i can duplex up to 200gsm on most stocks with +/- 1mm registration.
up to 250gsm on selected stocks with +/- 1mm registration.

300gsm should be run duplex if accurate registration is not required.

700i can duplex up to 200gsm on most stocks with +/- 1mm registration.
up to 250gsm on selected stocks with +/- 1mm registration.

300gsm should be run duplex if accurate registration is not required.

We run 280gsm a lot on our 700(non-I) with .5 front to back registration using auto duplex.

I can get our 700 dead-on with 270 gr digital stocks, and within 1 mm on auto duplex 250 gr offset paper. Just need a lot of different alignment profiles, which need to be tweaked form season to season, as the printer is not in a climate controlled setting.
We run 280gsm a lot on our 700(non-I) with .5 front to back registration using auto duplex.

>> We run 280gsm a lot on our 700(non-I) with .5 front to back registration using auto duplex.
I am jealous.

Ask your tech about profiling your stock. The techs used to do it, but now they don't. Your tech can give you instructions on how to do it.

It's basically running their test sheet, measuring, and making adjustments on each kind of stock you commonly run. It helps a lot with thicker stocks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back