comparison KM 8000 vs Ricoh 901+

MacDaddy

What is the main difference between the two. Can they both run letterheads and will not have trouble with toner coming off if customer runs in laser printer.
Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks

I don't have exact experience with the two machines, however I wouldn't recommend printing letterheads (for overprinting) on any toner based digital machine.

They use a heat process (fuser) to get the toner to stick to the paper... when it's run through a laser printer (which is basically the same technology and also uses a fuser) the heat from this will cause the toner to lift from the surface.

I know some digital printers do get better results than others due to the amount of heat used however none are going to be able to guarantee compatibility with over printing 100%.

Thanks Josh currently have a KM 6500 time for upgrade. Looking at both the KM 7000 and 8000 and Ricoh C751EX and 901s graphic art plus.
I have tested on my current KM and have no customers that have issue with toner coming off when they run through there toner based printers. I know some machines like the older Ricoh
have had this issue but does the newer machines with newer toner have same issue. Plus I just want to know if someone has run both machines and what one they think is better.
Like KM but with cost of machine and a better click rate Ricoh has my attention. Just look for opinions.

Hi,

We tested both machines before buying the 8000, we liked many things about the 901 but the show stopper is its inability
to print almost any kind of textured stock. It just can't put the toner down into the recessed areas and consequently you have
light and dark areas in your solids and screens. The 8000 can print textured stock very well, even 100# or heavier Classic Linen
cover.

That's good to know I do have one important customer that prints on a via linen card stock. That could be the stopper for me as well.

Hi,

We tested both machines before buying the 8000, we liked many things about the 901 but the show stopper is its inability
to print almost any kind of textured stock. It just can't put the toner down into the recessed areas and consequently you have
light and dark areas in your solids and screens. The 8000 can print textured stock very well, even 100# or heavier Classic Linen
cover.

We have a C8000 and a Canon C6000 and we've found the opposite to be true - Compared to the Canon we find the C8000 to do a horrible job with textured papers. Are there settings we're missing to help with this? We've asked our techs but haven't found a way to run anything textured to our satisfaction.

Josh is absolutely right. You are doing your customers a disservice, and risking the whole job coming back if you print letterhead on a color copier. That is what presses are for.

I ran some samples on the KM both standard and textured stock. One thing I did not like was the glossy look even on uncoated stock once you went over 163 gsm. And on a textured stock.
The tech went in a changed the temperature settings on the stock and it looked matte much better to my eye on uncoated stock. He did go in and change some charge settings on the textured stock and it came out nice. So once you create a paper profile for your stocks you should have trouble. It would have been a deal breaker for me.

On the letterheads when a customer only wants 250 or 500 they do not want to pay for press. I have done many on my older KM without one complaint and even tested for one customer no issues.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back