Help me make sure I'm ready!

AP90

Hey guys, I will be installing a xerox C75 in a couple months. I'm asking you guys to give me input on if I'm missing anything that I will need when I'm ready to be up and running. I will mainly be doing in house printing for my publishing company, but I am planning on offering other simple applications to our current clients such as flyers, business cards, brochures, calendars, ect.

Software
Our computers already have Indesign and quark on them. Is there any other softwares I should be looking at? I am not planning on variable data so that software will not be necessary, although I do know some of you use indesign for variable.
An FTP upload client for our clients

Finishing
Guillotine
Stack cutter
Creaser
Folder
Binding equipment

And the most important..... Capital

Thanks for reading guys. I'll add things to my list as I think of it, and I would appreciate all input you can provide.

Last edited:
Photoshop for tweaking photos and scans both yours and your clients.

Illustrator for logos and vector art. InDesign can't do everything.

Acrobat/Pitstop to fix and optimize client PDFs.

Marketing/Advertising/Sales Rep to find customers for all that nice equipment you have.

If you understand the importance of capital, you'll understand the importance of advertising and marketing. Hold onto that capital for dear life because you'll need it to make that C75 lease payment when things get slow. Thanks for asking. I'm sure other members of this forum have even wiser things to say.

You would probably want Enfocus PitStop, and some kind of imposition software. The utility I use most (other then Signa) is Quite a Box of Tricks and Quite Imposing (plus).

Quite Imposing: home page
Quite A Box Of Tricks: Overview

Ignore the looks of this outdated website... the software they sell is great. You can download a demo version to try it out first (both are Acrobat Plug-Ins, not stand alone software).

They are not cheap, but will make your life so much easier, which is worth a lot.

Just my 2 cents

Photoshop for tweaking photos and scans both yours and your clients.

Illustrator for logos and vector art. InDesign can't do everything.

Acrobat/Pitstop to fix and optimize client PDFs.

Marketing/Advertising/Sales Rep to find customers for all that nice equipment you have.

If you understand the importance of capital, you'll understand the importance of advertising and marketing. Hold onto that capital for dear life because you'll need it to make that C75 lease payment when things get slow. Thanks for asking. I'm sure other members of this forum have even wiser things to say.

Thanks for the quick reply. When I said indesign, I meant the whole bundle. So I have that covered. And we have acrobat too.

Sales and marketing will nainly be addressed by myself.

And thanks for your input on capital. We are outright purchasing our machine though so we won't have to worry about a monthly lease.

Also to fatboy, thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into imposition software.

I think you may have overlooked THE most important item (other than capital). What are you going to print on?
You'll need to build a relationship with a paper supplier (Mac Papers, Unisource, etc.) and always have a supply on hand.
Determine the paper substrate and size you will need for publishing, business cards, flyers, etc. I believe max size on the C75 is 13 x 19. Many newbies just print everything on 8 1/2 x 11, but, remember, your color click is a color click, no matter if you're printing 1-up on an 8 1/2 x 11, or 2-up on 11 x 17. Always print as many up as possible to decrease your per piece cost.

-Best

MailGuru

Hey guys, I will be installing a xerox C75 in a couple months. I'm asking you guys to give me input on if I'm missing anything that I will need when I'm ready to be up and running. I will mainly be doing in house printing for my publishing company, but I am planning on offering other simple applications to our current clients such as flyers, business cards, brochures, calendars, ect.

Software
Our computers already have Indesign and quark on them. Is there any other softwares I should be looking at? I am not planning on variable data so that software will not be necessary, although I do know some of you use indesign for variable.
An FTP upload client for our clients

Finishing
Guillotine
Stack cutter
Creaser
Folder
Binding equipment

And the most important..... Capital

Thanks for reading guys. I'll add things to my list as I think of it, and I would appreciate all input you can provide.

With that unit please dont forget about the Service aspect of the Device. Do you have a local Tech or are you going to be paying a per click charge for parts and service. Please look over the contract with a fine tooth comb.

MailGuru, I do have a paper supplier and know what I will need to keep on hand for the beginning. Thank you for mentioning it, but no it was not overlooked.

Raymond, the service is included in the click charge and is fully covered by the click. No monthly minimum or anything. I have spent hours analyzing the contract and made sure there were no surprises.

Thank you everyone for the input already. Even if it is things I have covered, hopefully this will help me and help anyone in the future who is making the plunge. Please keep the suggestions coming.

If you get the right RIP for your Xerox it will have Pitstop and imposition with it. Fiery full package.

That's Funny and so true! My old man, who has been in the printing industry since the 1950s, claims that the only good thing about the printing industry is that it drives you to drink!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back