InDesign's default paragraph composer!

Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InDesign's default paragraph composer!

It is odd Adobe would considered the default paragraph composer as the better way to automatically managing word spacing, H&J and glyph. While to most untrained eyes, paragraph composer does seem to do a better job, if you are to ask any trained typographers they will likely tell you otherwise.

Switching to single-line composer is certainly one option but this is when we learn about InDesign's silly silly problem. If you have a first line indent setup and try hanging a quote or anywhere within a paragraph. It automatically picks up the indent setting! One easy solution is to use tabs instead but when you have a large book interior (say 400pg long) that's a lot of tabs to hit. Another solution would be to manually set paragraphs where there is a hanging quote.

This is a minor issue but it sure annoys the hell out of our designer who has a very good eye for bad typography.

Edited by: Tech on Nov 14, 2007 9:33 PM

Re: InDesign's default paragraph composer!

Old wise saying Tech, opinions are like arses, everyone has one, and they all stink. Indy's multi-line text composition IMO is way better than what I used to see coming out of Quark for example, when Amateurs do the formating.

Comment

Re: InDesign's default paragraph composer!

I wouldn't take our designers' comments seriously if she don't understand kerning from leading. The fact, she can look at a typeface and identify a typeface without much hesitation tells me her opinion is worth my time to look into the problem.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
      Standard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesLabelexpoKBAKBA4OverSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5562 users online. 99 members and 5463 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
      X