Measuring a flexo plate with Spectroeye

marc3llo

Hi all,

At work we have an old Spectroeye (but it seems to be working alright) that is able to measure flexo printing plate dots. I tried to follow the manual but the only thing that says is that I should be using the Yule formula rather than Murray-Davies.. and that's all. it doesn't explain much at all.. When I measured the plate it gave me some random numbers, sometimes in % some others with a - (negative) value.

Have you guys had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Marcelo

Look up the Yule-Nielsen formula. It tries to account for the scattering of light. Does the manual recommend an "n-factor"?

Look up the Yule-Nielsen formula. It tries to account for the scattering of light. Does the manual recommend an "n-factor"?

Hi Rich,

It only says to use the Yule formula and I just saw that in the example next to the directions it's written down n:1.15. I might give it another go with this n factor. Thanks!
Marcelo Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 8.52.09 AM-2.png

There you go. Keep in mind that as you change the n-factor, you change the result of your readings. You may have to experiment, or contact your plate vendor, to find the "right" n-factor.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back