Illustrator info palette

Macmann

Why are the dimensions of a selection in the options bar different from the info palette? This can be very confusing for someone who may take the info palette as gospel. I have a theory that this happens on files with a clipping mask and the options bar displays the "clipped" dimension and the info palette is displaying the framework dimension lying beneath. This has caused confusion in the past when an operator is relaying size info to a sales person or client and the size displayed in the info palette is given. Is there a way to turn off this "feature" so only the final size of the selection is displayed regardless of where you view it? Personally, I can't see why the dimension of the underlying framework of a piece is relevant when only the clipped data will be used.

Illustrator 17.1

Attachments

• size issue.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I think what is happening is....
the outlined shape that you have highlighted is also a clipping mask.
The dimensions in the menu bar reflect the area of the clipping mask.
The dimensions in the Info palette is including the bounding are of the item being clipped by the clipping mask.

I have never found the info palette to be that helpful overall, so never use it. It can be closed, and the more-relevant/specific palettes used instead.

Why are the dimensions of a selection in the options bar different from the info palette? This can be very confusing for someone who may take the info palette as gospel. I have a theory that this happens on files with a clipping mask and the options bar displays the "clipped" dimension and the info palette is displaying the framework dimension lying beneath. This has caused confusion in the past when an operator is relaying size info to a sales person or client and the size displayed in the info palette is given. Is there a way to turn off this "feature" so only the final size of the selection is displayed regardless of where you view it? Personally, I can't see why the dimension of the underlying framework of a piece is relevant when only the clipped data will be used.

Illustrator 17.1

I use the "Transform" palette's numbers, since they're accurate, handy and can be manipulated, all in one place.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back