#10 Envelopes and Discounts from Vendor

TJPrinter

Wondering if all distributors price this way.

I can order 1 case of 2,500 #10's or I can order 20 cases of the same and my price per M is the same. It's always been that way and it's why I would always use envelopes to fill in and meet minimum orders when needed. I don't go through 50,000 a month but I did just go through almost that in the last 2 weeks and it got me thinking, now that I have to order more and stock more so I don't run out, should I be paying less per M?

And now they're out of #10 windows again but I can get 1,800 bulk packed, what the f do I do with those!

Any thoughts on pricing?

Theoretically yes but it's all made up numbers anyways.

Your vendors are already buying the stock in volume and our "volume" purchases don't amount to much in their grand scale of pricing when you consider that they're probably buying 10 million of something to serve all their customers combined. With the paper shortages they don't have an incentive to give you volume pricing since they can sell it to someone else without any trouble at the current price.

I agree with tngcas. Just bad timing. Typically, from a paper vendor, if you're ordering 10,000 or 100,000, your /m cost will not vary much.. If you need to order in large quantities (I'd say anything above 100k), you should be ordering direct from an envelope converter (where your paper vendor orders from before he marks it up). Problem is, even the converters can't get paper, and, those that can, will charge a higher than normal price. It's so bad out there right now, some of those converters will not only charge a higher price, but, have instituted a "rationing system" to limit how much you can order. One in particular that I know of has limited orders to no more than 250k.

Almost Everything is negotiable, I feel like our regular prices are already pretty fair / and i think it is important not to squeeze our local partners too much if we want them to survive, but If I regularly buy a lot of something I will usually try to haggle on price. Or if I see the paper company has a bit of that’s a non stock or discontinued item, I offer to buy all of it at a reduced cost.

Other times, we have a limited amount of space, it is often worth it to pay a little more and only order what I need vs ordering a large supply that’ll eat warehouse space just to save a few bucks.

Thanks everyone, that's what I figured because I've always thought that my paper rep was fair with pricing. But you never know.

If I had a trade envelope printer near me I would send the larger runs out but freight is a deal killer most of the time now.

Thanks everyone, that's what I figured because I've always thought that my paper rep was fair with pricing. But you never know.

If I had a trade envelope printer near me I would send the larger runs out but freight is a deal killer most of the time now.
I don't know if they still do it but, some paper vendors also offer envelope printing. We did this with Xpedx a few times. It was very affordable and the job would get delivered with your normal paper order. It wasn't fast though.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back