A question about ScriptWorks to all PrePress Gurus....

OkiTech

If someone would offer me a Harlequin RIP ScriptWorks version 5, what exactly does it do? May be a stupidest question ever but I am more of a printer service tech, I've run a 1-2 color presses, fixed them etc. but did not dive in to whole pre-press thing but would like to learn everything I could. I know what the RIP is but the question is - the ScriptWorks what does it do? What type of equipment can it drive? Am I even asking the right question? I mean - I have a KM Bizhub C65HC with Creo RIP, I have another one with EFi Fiery Pro 80 RIp so that is obvious that those RIPs designed to drive those Bizhubs... If I google it, it takes me directly to RTI RIps website where they do not offer(or I did not find) any particular information.
Thanks in advance.
Roman.

It's a Harlequin RIP. You can RIP pages. What it can do by itself is rip to separations or to a contone image. You can drive laser printers, filmsetters, platesetters, proofers/inkjets, etc. You need plug-ins to drive output devices. You could RIP the pages into 8bit tiffs at 300ppi and about 106lpi to ftp into the bizhub if it has the built-in ethernet like the bizhub pro's did. Or you can send 1-bit tiffs at 600ppi. But if you have a Fiery there's little reason to do anything outside of it.

Dave Lewis at LucidDream can get you plug-ins for the Harlequin RIP.

Thank you Matt. I did brought up the bizhubs just as example. I am more interested in list of devices it is capable to output to, generally it could be useful if it could drive a wide format printer such as Mutoh vj 1614 or xerox 8264/65

Call David Lewis at LucidDream and see what plug-ins he has or has access to. You can drive all sorts of "things" that can take a 1, 8, 24, or 32 bit tiff.

There may be a direct plug for the mutah. Probably not the xerox. For the most part anything it doesn't directly support can be supported with the use of a tiff catcher.

You should also know that version 5 is very old, it was released in 1998, as far as I remember.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back