Adjusting LPI - Prinergy Connect - Newsprint

jeremiahb

Hello,

We're looking into running some tests at a lower lpi, and I was curious as to the easiest way to adjust this. I believe we're running everything at 150 lpi right now (Is there a way to check?) with a Staccato screen.

We run newsprint for the most part, and looking around online a 150 lpi screen seems to be high. I'm assuming that dropping the lpi significantly will require a new curve. The goal is to make printing a bit easier when setting ink and registering.

I found an option to override the lpi when printing an imposition into a job, but haven't found any settings other than this. Making a change to a process template would probably be easiest if possible.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,

We're looking into running some tests at a lower line screen, and I was curious as to the easiest way to adjust this. I believe we're running everything at 150 lpi right now (Is there a way to check?) with a Staccato screen.

We run newsprint for the most part, and looking around online a 150 lpi screen seems to be high. I'm assuming that dropping the lpi significantly will require a new curve. The goal is to make printing a bit easier when setting ink and registering.

I found an option to override the line screen when printing an imposition into a job, but haven't found any settings other than this. Making a change to a process template would probably be easiest if possible.

Thanks

If you're running Staccato you're not running at 150 lpi since Staccato is an FM screen.
You'll have to look with a loupe to confirm what screen you're using. If it's an AM screen then you'll need a halftone screen finder like this one to determine its lpi:
sald_L_zpsil7zjhil.jpg

There are different styles of screen finders but they all use moiré to determine the lpi of an AM screen.

85-100 lpi are the screens most often used for newsprint (SNAP/Ifra)

Going from Staccato or from 150 lpi to AM 85-100 lpi will require new dot gain compensation curves.

Are you sure that (if you're using Staccato) that it's creating your issues and that it's not just being used as a scapegoat by the press operators? Most newspaper printers that use FM screens. like Staccato, stay with them because of ink savings, reduced issues with the appearance of mis-registration, no moiré, etc, etc. This class of screening has many press and customer benefits once set up.

Last edited:
Forgive me, I still have a lot to learn in prepress operations, and most of what I learn comes from these forums. Haven't spent any time adjusting screens or curves.

I know we're running a Staccato FM screen based on our process templates that we use to send our tiffs to the trendsetters. What was throwing me off was the attached message when printing our impositions into a job. We also have warnings pop when files are built under 300dpi.

Knowing that we use a Staccato screen, I'm assuming that we can't adjust the lines or dots as the screen is random based on color tones?

Would you recommend looking into a AM screen at 85 lpi over a Staccato FM screen for newsprint?

Forgive me, I still have a lot to learn in prepress operations, and most of what I learn comes from these forums. Haven't spent any time adjusting screens or curves.

I know we're running a Staccato FM screen based on our process templates that we use to send our tiffs to the trendsetters. What was throwing me off was the attached message when printing our impositions into a job. We also have warnings pop when files are built under 300dpi.

Knowing that we use a Staccato screen, I'm assuming that we can't adjust the lines or dots as the screen is random based on color tones?

Would you recommend looking into a AM screen at 85 lpi over a Staccato FM screen for newsprint?

I'm not going to do Kodak's customer support job.
That being said, I was on the Staccato development team so there are some things I will say.

Staccato dots aren't random (technically they're pseudo-random).

You can adjust their sizes by selecting a Staccato screen from your options:

Staccato 36 is typical for newspapers (lithographically equivalent to about 205 lpi)
Staccato 25 is typical for web publications (lithographically equivalent to about 240 lpi)
Staccato 20 is typical for commercial offset. (lithographically equivalent to about 385 lpi)

If you look at your local Yellow Pages directory and/or local newspaper insert flyers you'll find that about 80% of this kind of work is FM (and typically Staccato).

Heck, this steam-powered manual Planeta press prints cereal boxes all day long with FM:

s10BigPress.jpg

Is that a better press than yours?

I would not recommend switching fro Staccato to 85/100 lpi for newsprint.

Just to give you an idea, I converted my local daily newspaper, the Victoria Times Colonist from 85 lpi AM to Auraia a 20 micron FM screen somewhat like Staccato and as a result, over the past year, they've reduced their advertiser chargebacks from 10 a week to zero. They've also signed multi year contract renewals with advertisers that they were losing to competitors.

So, what I suggest is that you get to the bottom of what the problem is either by yourself or engaging Kodak tech support or a no-BS outside consultant who has direct experience with FM screening.

Last edited:
Ah, I see that in the options now. Thank you for you explanation. When switching to Maxtone in the process template the size switches to lpi. We're running with Staccato 36 now, and I'm guessing that selecting Yes or No on that 150 LPI message when printing impositions won't make a difference.

I was basically tasked with "We're running Staccato, lower the lpi and run a test to see if there's a noticeable difference."

Our only size options for Staccato are 25,36,40,50,70. When I explain this, they're most likely going to want to test 40. Will this dramatically effect the curve? Their idea is that if we have larger dots, that we will have more wiggle room if we get out of register.

We have had Kodak come in somewhat recently to set new curves for each paper type.

I appreciate your help and don't mind calling Kodak if you choose to bail on me. :)

Thanks again

Last edited:
Ah, I see that in the options now. Thank you for you explanation. When switching to Maxtone in the process template the size switches to lpi. We're running with Staccato 36 now, and I'm guessing that selecting Yes or No on that 150 LPI message when printing impositions won't make a difference.

I was basically tasked with "We're running Staccato, lower the lpi and run a test to see if there's a noticeable difference."

Our only size options for Staccato are 25,36,40,50,70. When I explain this, they're most likely going to want to test 40. Will this dramatically effect the curve? Their idea is that if we have larger dots, that we will have more wiggle room if we get out of register. However they were also under the impression that we were running a high lpi with small dots.

We have had Kodak come in somewhat recently to set new curves for each paper type.

I appreciate your help and don't mind calling Kodak if you choose to bail on me. :)

Thanks again

OK, With mis-registration Staccato will give you sellable sheets where AM screening won't. Here's a sample of how that looks - you can see the integrity of the text that Staccato maintains where the 150 lp kills it. 85 lpi would be worse:
Mis%20registration_zpstgyakqvr.jpg

I have no idea as to how supportive Kodak is towards their customers. I get the sense that Kodak needs to do some client education at your shop.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back