All CS3 apps refuse to open on Windows XP

PaulK

I installed the CS3 suite on my PC a few months back and after using since then with no problems, all of a sudden I get this error message every time I try to open any CS3 application:

"InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Has anyone else run into this? It seems strange that it would work fine for months and now bomb out for no reason. I haven't installed any other software on the computer since CS3.

Edited by: Paul Kubiak on Oct 23, 2007 7:58 AM

Re: All CS3 apps refuse to open on Windows XP

I have recently read a how too in Photoshop magazine on this very problem. I experienced it myself and even tried to reload the software. The fix was quite easy. Find and delete the preferences file. I did this by opening photoshop and holding down the Ctrl - Alt - Shift Keys while it launched. It will prompt you to delete existing preferences (which became corrupt so it will not launch) and restore default preferences to when you 1st loaded the software. It won't hurt anything. I hope this helps

Thanks for the idea, I tried that and it still does not work. What's really strange is that EVERY CS3 application is now doing this, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. I even trashed my CS and CS2 programs off of the computer and restarted and it still does it.

Don't you just love apologetic software?

I know this sounds like a basic question, but do you have enough RAM? CS3 is a RAM hog, so I've been told. Check to see if you have the required amount for PC.

Frank

i'm facing like this problem in ill Cs3 i think it's bug in program i solve it by changing the regional seetings to united stated instead of your region and it works ...

try it ....

When you trashed the programs to start over, there still may be some remnants of it in your registry. You could download a registry cleanup program to rid the registry of left over files. Downloads.com offers a few freebies. Then reload fresh. This could still be a ram issue as well. As someone else mentioned.

When you trashed the programs to start over, there still may be some remnants of it in your registry. You could download a registry cleanup program to rid the registry of left over files. Downloads.com offers a few freebies. Then reload fresh. This could still be a ram issue as well. As Frank mentioned.

Did anyone ever come up with a definitive solution to this problem? It's started to happen to me, and it's driving me NUTS. I don' t have any CS2 incompatibility issues b/c there's no CS2 installed. Everything has been fine for 2 months, and now BANG -- InDesign seems to hate me b/c it keeps shutting down. :(

I deleted the preferences file. Let's hope that works, although I'm skeptical. The same problem has been happening to me at home with my copy of Microsoft Word. Any idea what's causing this?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back