Anyone buying small offsets?

Oop Labs

A year or two ago, I bought some equipment from a local shop (owner retired) at auction. In order to get the Windmill I wanted (just to play with -- I'm retired), I made a deal on it and two 2-color ABDicks with T-heads. I'm having fun with the Windmill, but that's all the fun I can handle these days. Realistically, is there anyone buying small offsets any more? I have a 9870 and a 9810. I'm in Kansas, and I'd kinda like to get some of my garage back.

I’m sure there’s someone out there that may be interested but these presses aren’t worth much anymore unless they’re in pristine condition. I had two 9810’s with T-heads about 4 years ago and Boggs was going to give me $1,200 for both. I got busy and didn’t get back to them, then a year later they were worth $250 for both and they really didn’t want any more of these presses. Virtually all the AB Dicks are put on cargo ships and sent overseas. I just scarped my two presses, but they had paid for themselves over and over.

List them on ebay or Craigslist and see if you have any nearby takers.

The transportation is usually more than the press is worth (here). An exporter may be interested. Put them on ebay with local pickup and hope for the best.

The 9810 is the first offset press I learned to run ~25 years ago. I was a newbie shop kid who did bindery, deliveries, whatever was needed. One of the pressman hated running envelopes so he showed me the basics of how to setup the press and the envelope feeder we had attached to it. I thought it was great fun pulling levers, adjusting the water level, pulling occasional samples, etc. Alas, I agree with others that these types of presses are more expensive to move than they are worth. You might try reaching out to local schools that have graphics programs and offer to donate them if you don't have luck selling them. Otherwise, try reaching out to Boggs or similar used equipment companies.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back