Anyway to verify if they are Odystar PDF

Hooters7

Hello,
anybody have a way to verify Odystar PDFs. Why do that not put a tag on them from the RIP? Is it an option?

well, you can open them up in Acrobat and check the document properties, it will tell you who the creator was, if that's what you mean.

well, you can open them up in Acrobat and check the document properties, it will tell you who the creator was, if that's what you mean.

Actually, I don't think it will show you that. I just pulled a PDF that came out of a Step and Repeat canvas and it shows no source info. You might run that by your tech support person - where are you located?

Thanks to all, but I have tried all your suggestions.

Adobe Acrobat 8 and 9 - If you do an "Get Description", you get the original creator and producer.

Adobe Acrobat 7 - If you do an "Get Description", you get the latest creator and producer. But even so, with Odystar, they do not supply a tag line, so they read original creator and producer.

Text Wrangler - I drop PDF into this app, and search for "odystar", "artworks", and even tried "esko" in the search with no luck.

The only thing so far is that all the text is in outlines and that the pdf contains no fonts.

I guess I was hoping that it is an option with in the software. I plan on going to esko/artworks forum next, but I thought I would try this group of knowledge first.

the only way to do this would be to have odystar work in a certified PDF. When Odystar certifies it will put metadata in the file that will list Odystar.

Actually, I don't think it will show you that. I just pulled a PDF that came out of a Step and Repeat canvas and it shows no source info. You might run that by your tech support person - where are you located?

what does my location have to do with anything?

and, If you have a pdf file that has not been molested (before step and repeating or placing into any other form of impositioning, normalizing, converting), if you go to the file menu, drag down to properties, it will tell you who the creator was, Creo, Esko, Indesign or who ever.

run that by your tech support.

cheers,
David

dude, you're harshin' my mellow...

check my public profile for my location, I have it there, unlike some people.

Still doesn't have anything to do with checking the creator of a PDF file.
I don't need Esko tech support for that, maybe you do.

so mellow yourself and call tech support and ask them how they check the creator of a PDF file.

I'm done.

Hello,
anybody have a way to verify Odystar PDFs. Why do that not put a tag on them from the RIP? Is it an option?

Can I ask why you you need to know. Which system generated a PDF doesn't always mean it will be a good PDF.

Not all PDFs the same. For example, Odystar converts all fonts to vectored lines. Additionally, some clients send files Pre-trapped. While others send in PDFs not even close to X1A. We have a process to verify 'brand" of PDF so as not to re-RIP.

A little communication would work. I supply multiple vendors with artwork ranging from ArtPro files to Illy EPS files, to Quark and PDFs, etc. I verify what it is, the part numbers, trapped, not trapped, etc when sending the files to the printer. So far, so good.

Not all PDFs the same. For example, Odystar converts all fonts to vectored lines. Additionally, some clients send files Pre-trapped. While others send in PDFs not even close to X1A. We have a process to verify 'brand" of PDF so as not to re-RIP.

I don't think there is a definite way to tell if a PDF comes from Odystar. In most cases (if not all) Odystar itself does not actually create any PDF's, it modifies existing ones you supply to it or they are created by Distiller. That is why it shows the original creator info, but it would be nice to have some tag or description that it was processed by Odystar (XMP data?).

But that really is unrelated if you want to check things like fonts and trapping and such because a customer could supply a PDF that is completely up to spec (unlikely but plausible) that does not come from Odystar ;)

They way I see it you just need two flows or hotfolders for the RIP, one for Odystar and one for the other stuff that goes through a preflight or you can use Certified PDF as someone else has mentioned.

Let me clear up a few points here guys.
1. Odystar does not create PDFs thru workflow. It can rejoin to create multipage from single pages. It can rip a PDF to a Raster PDF. Runlist editor (a sub client app of odystar) can create a PDF.

2. It is a option to outline fonts with Odystar. You dont have to, nor is it the default setting.

3. Yes you can check XMP for FileCreatorTool as well as default MetaData for file creator. You will never find Odystar listed there (Odystar doesn't create pdfs) but you can determine what did create these PDFs.

Hope this helps

BTW Odystar 4.0 is sweet!!!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back