Brisque external hard drive not accessible

jarego2

I have an IBM 43P workstation running AIX 4.3.3 and Brisque 4.1.76

The workstation has two internal SCSI drives of 9GB and 18GB, and an external SCSI tower with one drive of 73GB.

Last week we started getting messages that we ran out of disk space. However, the "Jobs" folder where we normally have fifty to one hundred processed files was showing as empty. We were unable to send any more jobs to the workstation without getting the "not enough disk space" message in the Brisque software.

I ran a customer maintenance program which checks the filesystems, runs fsck, etc, and got no error messages other than a warning to run varyonvg without reference to a specific volume.

Later I ran IBM diagnostics in maintenance mode and got no error codes. When I use smit devices all three hard drives are listed as available.

When I use smit to check logical and physical volumes, however, the only physical volumes that show up are hdisk0 and hdisk1, the two internal drives. When I try to add hdisk2, the drive in the external tower, I get a message that a device already exists at that address.

Listing the logical volumes shows three lvs: rootvg, svg1, and svg2. Svg2 is not showing as active. When I try to activate it, I get the following message:

0516-013 The volume group cannot be varied on because there are no good copies of the descriptor area.
PV STATUS 004a181a17b81a90 PVNOTFND

Is the drive dead, or is this a SCSI problem? If I replace the hard drive, how do I re-establish the logical volumes, volume groups, etc?

Have you resolved your problem with the hard disk?
I think you should change the 18gb disk by a 73GB or 150GB internal. You can save to replace the system disk if a failure occurs.
The external drive works well, but they depend on external power sources and generate possible failures due to cables and connections.
I have connected external RAID5 systems have worked well, but with the current size of SCSI hard disks are no longer so interested.
If you still need help let me know.
It´s important to know if it's 43P-140 or 43P-150.

Regards.

Nacho

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back