Canon IR5185 stops for auto-gradiation every 100 copies

Rick

Registered Users
I have found that my 4 month, 60,000 clicks canon IR 5185 seems to stop about a minute every 50 to 100 copies for auto-gradiation. My technician told me it was typical for this machine and there was nothing he could do about it.
I think it is related to the volume on the drum but wanted to get feedback before discussing my complaint directly with the Branch Service Manager.
Rick

I'd call the branch manager...we have a 110 and 138 and never experienced that. That sort of delay kills your production output.

It's true, the 5185 will do an auto-grad quite frequently, about 100 copies sounds right. Your technician should be able to increase that number, but your quality may suffer. That was one of the bigger complaints I use to get with the 3200, predecessor of the 5180 series.

The 5185 is just a 'small' office color machine, the 110 and 138 are 'real' machines, they actually have metal parts and stuff. The 5185 could probably fit in the stacker of a 110. :p

auto-gradation

auto-gradation

So, it is something that imagerunners like to do. I have an ir3220 with Fiery. I think it's 4 or 5 years old and it has 800,000 on the meter. I rent it from a guy (who is a very good service tech) and he says that is normal! I never counted the clicks between auto gradation adjustments but it seems like it runs for 3 minutes and then stops for 1 minute. Which makes the 32 ipm wishful thinking. I hate it.

Keith

Thanks for the input. I was not aware of a similiar problem with the 3200 series.
That is upsetting that canon would design a new line without solving the problem.
Is there anyone out there with a canon IR 5185 who can report on their personal experience?
any Service providers who can weigh in on the technical aspects?
I will make sure to post the results of my conversation with the branch service manager.
And yes I am using Canon business solutions for service so it should not be a case of a dealer unwilling to put in parts.
rick

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back