Color Quality VS Quantity...would love to hear your experience!

jcm

First, I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who participates here. Your words have been incredibly helpful!

We're in the market for a digital printer to mostly handle the types of jobs that all of these machines seem to say they do to different degrees, but with varying results in small test runs. We're curios about what to expect for color & service once they've been clicked a couple 100K times or so.

We're testing about everything we can find out there and are not brand loyal to anyone yet. We just want the best quality & service outcome possible.

KM 7000 (tested) & 8000 (great offer on a demo- not tested yet)
Canon 6010 (will test)
Ricoh 900 & 901 (tested)
Xerox 700,7002,800 (tested 700, will test 7002 and 800)

We've found + and - feedback for all of these machines on the boards. I'm guessing that some of it is due to what people are printing: paper texture, weight and design (solids and full coverage or less coverage and fewer solids).

Most importantly, the machine must be excellent at printing:
100-110lb cover in 13x19 sheets,
matte paper and going for a very matte look,
duplex where possible,
(would love to go higher in weight if machine allows).

Print quality and registration are critical. Volume is not as important and by the time it is, we’ll be moving to more of a true press solution that can handle it. This will be the only press in house out of the gate. We offset most of our printing needs right now.

If you have experience, good or bad, with any of the machines above using 100+lb cover, with a real matte finish, please share your experiences with the audience. If you are having grand success with a machine I haven’t mentioned, your opinion and advice would be truly appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

Cheers.

On the Xerox line I have ran all 3 color boxes and the most matte printing comes from the 700. 800 has a little more gloss look to it which you probably won't like. I ran an 8000ap so I can't talk for the gloss effect of the 7002 but I can tell you that the 8000 does not print 13x19 and I'm pretty sure thats the same for the 7002. The max sheet size is somethign funky like 12.6x18.2.

Well, I can speak first hand to the Ricoh C900 as I've been running it for the last year now and have almost 300k on it. For quality & registration I absolutely love it. The back-to-back registration of the machine is phenomenal! My bindery department regularly comments on how they love how accurate everything comes off the C900.

Also, I'm somewhat of the regional "goto" for C900 paper oddities! I regularly run paper heavier than 100# cover. Mind you, it's taken some tweaking and a fantastic tech that allows me to go into the service mode to adjust temperatures & speeds but I'm more than satisfied with my results. I have successfully printed 18pt cover stock on my C900... how many people can say that?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back