CTP Thermal or Violet?

dilip

Hi, my name is Dilip Kawli (india) and I own a medium sized commercial shop. We have a 19x25, 1 color Roland, a 20x28, 4 color Speedmaster, 2 nos. Mitsubishi-Lithopia, 21.5 cutoff, heatset web with 4 units, 2 nos. Toshiba 4 color Heatset web 21.5" cutoff, 2 nos. Harris 4 color coldset 22.75" web.

In Binders we have Mullermartini 221 series flowline with online 9 feeders & online pinning & 3 side trimmer.
Harris flowline with 12 feeding stations( feeders not in use) & online pinning, trimming.

We use Mac and PC workstations. We use Screen FTR imagesetter and 2offline processors.
we consume around 2500 plates per month.

We are still bit confused, which CTP to buy. Thermal or Violet?
In india we have very competitive Thermal Plates available, Violet too.
But need experts opinion with my above given Press room configuration.

Our Print run starts from 10,000 front back impressions till 400,000 front back impressions.
Pls suggest somebody.

Hi Kowalph,
thanks for your reply.
First of all, i need a genuine opinion regarding Violet & Thermal CTP difference.

We have commercial Sheet feed presses like Heidelberg, Komori & Heatset Web offset press like Mitsubishi Lithopia, Toshiba, Harris M-1000.
We are specialized in quality Magazine & Book work in 4 color.
Our quantity goes as far as 10,000 to 500,000 copies in one go.

pls give me ur valuable feed back as earliest.

regards,
[email protected]
-Dilip

Hi Dilip,

You may want to look at this differently and see what plates are available in your location that will last for 500,000 impressions or more. Also, see if the plate will meet your highest screen ruling. This may help narrow down your selection process.

Regards,

Mark

Violet or Thermal

Violet or Thermal

One of the biggest concerns you shaould have is cost of ownership. Thermal heads have rated life cycles and are much more expensive that a violet laser that will last longer. Ask you vendor on the cost of the repair for a thermal. Violet is a very good medium and with Agfa releasing Azura-V that would be the way to go.

Hi, my name is Dilip Kawli (india) and I own a medium sized commercial shop. We have a 19x25, 1 color Roland, a 20x28, 4 color Speedmaster, 2 nos. Mitsubishi-Lithopia, 21.5 cutoff, heatset web with 4 units, 2 nos. Toshiba 4 color Heatset web 21.5" cutoff, 2 nos. Harris 4 color coldset 22.75" web.

In Binders we have Mullermartini 221 series flowline with online 9 feeders & online pinning & 3 side trimmer.
Harris flowline with 12 feeding stations( feeders not in use) & online pinning, trimming.

We use Mac and PC workstations. We use Screen FTR imagesetter and 2offline processors.
we consume around 2500 plates per month.

We are still bit confused, which CTP to buy. Thermal or Violet?
In india we have very competitive Thermal Plates available, Violet too.
But need experts opinion with my above given Press room configuration.

Our Print run starts from 10,000 front back impressions till 400,000 front back impressions.
Pls suggest somebody.

Hi Dilip

I do understand your confusion.
I have tested both plate - test chart printed. @ 150 lpi and 175 lpi.
I dont find find any differences between the quality of printing.
I belive in India you have Kodak, Fuji and Technova are into selling CtP.
Kodak deals with their Trendsetter IV(Which they say Tiger) they are offerings are thermal CtP. Fuji and Technova are dealing with both Thermal and Violet devices.
Both are selling Screen Thermal CtP and FFEi Violet CtP Systems.
You can choose your vendor.
I feel you can opt Violet technology. because these machine are capable of Chemisty Free
(go Green). in thermal processless technolgy is not at stable.
in violet definately you will get better run length than thermal irresepective of any vendor.

yourself you can something trail jobs at your end and comapre the results.
Please do follow below step before finalising the CtP

1. Choose the Technology.
2. Choose The Vendor.
3. Next five o seven year your Growth.

Thnx

Afternoon

several key questions to consider also;

-Will the plate manufacture offer consignment, if not, then, this becomes a considerable additional cost to you

-Who will conduct the forecasting & ordering with the manufacture?

-How much stock will you hold in order not to run out? holding large amounts of buffer stock to cover "unknown" future events will place a large burden on cash flow.

-When there is a technical question that needs addressing quickly, will you be able to have a manufactures Representative come to the site within an hour as is the case at present ?

-Does the plate manufacture offer bulk skid packaging ? If no, then there will be considerably more cardboard waste to handle & dispose of. Has this cost been factored?

-Does the plate manufacture have the ability to make plates ( & Guarantee consistency of supply ) in the grain direction required by your presses. If not, expect plate cracking & press down time.

regards
Maas

Dear Mr.joyaustin

Could you backup your remarks
"I feel you can opt Violet technology. because these machine are capable of Chemisty Free
(go Green). in thermal processless technolgy is not at stable"

As all this time I was under the impression that thermal is more green than VIolet and also processless is more stable. By the way I do hope you know that Scren's TP344 and the Presstek DI are all using Thermal imaging.

Thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back