Does Indesign CS4 recognize missing fonts in links?

tbowat

Could anyone tell me if Indesign CS4 (or any version of Indesign) will recognize missing fonts used in a linked image? We have a customer that is using Indesign CS4 they have linked images from photoshop (no fonts in the photoshop images) and .eps files that were created using Easy Barcode Creator. Indesign is not seeing that the font is missing from the eps file (easy barcode reader), nor is there an error when exporting a PDF or print a PS. Preflight in Indesign doesn't detect this either. If I open the eps in Illustrator then I get a font missing error. I don't want to open all the files (supporting links) to find out if I have missing fonts. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

When you look at the font usage palette, fonts used in images will show up as a separate icon than the fonts used for the document. It will also tell whether they are missing or not. My guess is that the barcode your client is using has the font information embedded within it, which when it's placed in InDesign is fine the way it is. However, since the font information is embedded within the file, it's going to try to look for those fonts when you try to open it in Illustrator and they will show up as missing.

see attached for missing images in graphic.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 190
The font that is missing is not listed in Indesign as a font being used. I know that it is not embedded because it defaults to courier when the images are updated. If I look at the code in text edit it shows that the font should be"Text Font: Arial (PostScript: ArialMT)"??

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-25 at 2.32.03 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-01-25 at 2.32.03 PM.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I'm not sure about EBC, but, fonts are embedded in eps files by default. This necessary font info will pass thru Distiller, PDF, or the print flow.

BUT, the font is not local to your machine, and Illustrator alerts this upon opening. Illustrator will not, "un-embedd" the font for your usage, this would be a violation of font licensing. You can substitute from within Illy.

@pdan
Embedding fonts in .ai or .eps is an option not a default setting...unless you mean it's checked off then i agree.

@tbowat
Short answer is "No". Indy doesn't recognize missing fonts from either photoshop nor Illy. Keep in mind, by messing, it likely just translates to font is not loaded in your system, hence when you open every Illy files, you'll likely see the same error. This is where pdan is correct, if fonts were already embedded in Illy then you shouldn't have problem processing and printing it. It just means you can't edit what's in photoshop or Illy.

I recently got upgraded to the latest version of Flightcheck pro. It does a great job checking all links and font usage even from linked photoshop and Illy files. It even collect linked imaged from Illy.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back