Epson 9900 print problem

pacart

I have been trying with no end in site to get this image to print. The printer is an Epson 9900. The art is simply an outline of letters, the line is 7pt and 100% black. The sheet size is 44x31.5 off of a roll of epson premium luster 260, But I just can't get it to print correctly, check out the attached photos.

I have tried printing a photograph and it is jacked up too, I have posted the print and what it is supposed to look like.

So I thought I would align the damn thing, so I did that and it still prints out all jacked up. This damn thing ruined my weekend! AH!

I'm printing from OSX 10.8.3, Indesign CS5.5, the art is a font that has been converted to outlines.

My thought is that it's not the art though, I think it really is the printer, which by the way doesn't get used much.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 249
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 240
So what does the encoder strip do?

Never had to take one of these apart, and honestly the machine sits idle quite a bit. I've just replaced some of the original ink cartridges from when it was new and I got the darn thing at the end of 2011.

So i wonder, if this problem has been brought on by lack of use?

pretty cool effect on the photo. :) but i feel for you. yeah, something's up with the printer. ok, obvious questions, you rebooted the printer? shut off, wait 10 secs, power up?
are you printing directly from InDesign or through a rip? restart the rip? corrupt worflow in rip? try another one?
try printing from AI? try another printer in shop?
if you have tried these, call Epson.

good luck,
cesar

I rebooted the printer, I updated the firmware, I am printing direct from Indesign CS5.5, no rip, also tried printing direct from Acrobat pro, Don't have another printer, out of warranty, epson can suck it.

Try printing a nozzle check or a status sheet from the printer to check if its OK. Try printing a Word document, or anything non-Adobe.

Ive seen this on a couple of printers - turned out to be an Adobe/driver corruption. Re-install CS and the printer driver.

Basically the encoder strip tells the printhead where it is.

But Johnno's advice sounds pretty good to me. Give it a try first.

Mike

Non-adobe stuff i have printed have been the nozzle check, which prints fine, the head alignment sheets printed fine, I also printed the feed sheets (don't remember exact name) but they were solid blue and grey blocks, they printed fine.

So all the test sheets were fine. I will let you know how a non adobe print job works ASAP.

Try printing a nozzle check or a status sheet from the printer to check if its OK. Try printing a Word document, or anything non-Adobe.

Ive seen this on a couple of printers - turned out to be an Adobe/driver corruption. Re-install CS and the printer driver.

Ok, so I have finally had time to deal with this issue.

You were correct - thank you lord! The print driver was corrupt. I don't know how, but it was.

I tried printing out of everything and it all looked like crap, so I trashed all the epson drivers on my computer. Rather than download and install over the top of the bad one, I made sure it was all gone. Then I downloaded the new driver, installed it, I printed out of iphoto and it looked good, so I then went to Indesign CS5.5 and that printed good as well.

I did things a little backwards now that I am thinking about it. First I had uninstalled then reinstalled CS5.5, I then printed from indesign and it was still bad, then I did the print driver. I should have started with the print driver since it is much quicker.

Anyways, thank you all for your help, especially you JohnnoDee. Correct Color I don't know how I would have dealt with that encoder strip, i was able to find it, but get to it - now that would have involved some dexterity for sure!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back