Epson Stylus Pro 7880

julesnh

Our HP Design jet 5500 has finally become so old we can't get a close proof for our presses. I've tried relinerization and tweaking ICC profiles,, but haven't been successful. We're looking at buying a Epson Stylus 7880 to replace it. Does anyone out there have one and if so, what's your opinion of it? We have Kodak CTP and a Heidelberg Speedmaster 74 that we use in our workflow.

Thanks

I've used the Epson Stylus 9000, 9600, and 9800 (the three previous generations of Epson) and the HP DesignJet 5000 and 5500. I would chose the Epson Stylus over HP 100% of the time due it's flexiblity, speed, ease of use, and lack of ink drying time.

We currently use a 7880 paired with GMG ColorProof.
The combination works great and the RIP is very smooth. Even having to learn my way around the software without any training, it was still fairly easy to grasp.
Device-wise, the 7880 is a great machine.
I'd love to upgrade to the 7990 some day soon though...

We've been selling, using and supporting Epson (and more recently HP) for many years. The 7880 is a great printer - nice gamut, quick drying and low metamerism inks, reasonably speeds for most proofing applications. It's bigger brother, the 7900, is faster with a somewhat larger gamut, and can easily switch between photo and matte black. FYI, we have an in-depth review of the 7900 posted on our web site.

Product Reviews

But if you're doing typical process proofing, the 7880 should meet your needs just fine.

If you'd like some help getting your RIP set up and getting the proofer to match the Speedmaster, let us know :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back