Finishing 70# gloss Text

meddington

One of our clients recently mandated a switch to 70# gloss text (from 100# text) for their brochures/direct mail pieces. We perform the printing/trim/fold then ship to 3 different mail houses. Since the switch to 70# stock, two of the mail houses have begun complaining of curl, flimsiness and bent edges, along with difficulty in handling, etc. We've been packing the product the same as we did the 100# text, only fitting about 40% more per carton (approx 3000 tri-panel brochures per carton). There is of course noticeable curl when these boxes are being filled. I'm looking for suggestions to help alleviate the curl and bending (which I attribute to movement and cavitation during shipping). Making smaller pulls and only partially filling boxes with product, then placing some other filler has been considered.

We have our own complaints of handling, etc, since switching to 70#, but I would like to see if others have had to deal with similar problems and how they've been dealt with.

What type of folder and what plate configuration are you using? Most mail shops just roll with it so there must be more to this problem.

From our bindery guy:

Stahl 26" x 40" buckle folder
steel/poly rubber combination rollers
full static elimination equipment for infeed and 4 position air blast
new rollers/bearings installed 2008

I have only heard these complaints relative to two jobs that were tri-panels. Right and french folds I haven't heard any complaints about. One mail house indicates they have no issues what so ever, though I haven't checked to see if they've been sent a tri-fold job on 70#.

What is the stock? I loath 70 gloss text. The only thing worse is 60. We have had better success printing and finishing Flo over competitive stocks. I am thinking the mail houses that are complaining have older mailing equipment and this could be the problem. Is the bindery guy boxing these flat or on their sides. I like two rows across on the sides and then medium pack them.

can you get a stiffer 70# or a flimsy 80#. the way I look at it is 70# is going to be more expensive for the customer than 80#. just because of the extra effort. I used to stock 50# offset and 60#offset, but the occasional issue with 50# changed all that. so now its 60# for everyone. I realize your taking about a large volume. but 80# would save everyone money, including the customer. if not your only costing your self money.

Stahls will give what I think are the tighest fold in the industry. If you do not have a presser stacker for a delivery then on your trifolds go up in 1 plate and down in 2. That will get it pretty darn flat. The sooner you can get a piece folded in any given unit the easier it will be to handle. But honestly it may be a problem with the mailhouse and for that I have no answer. Any 70lb paper I have handled is managable. If they want something to complain about give them some 27lb stock. If it is that big of a deal when the problem arises again stop what your doing if they are local and go see it 1st. hand.

John Weaver

Have you tried using a manual paper banding press? If jogged and banded securely, these keep light stock nice and flat. They've been around for decades and the fact that they're manual means you can give it a little more squeeze to flatten them out and keep them that way. Anderson Speedo is one brand name; there are probably several names out there.

Mike:
I've sent 750,000 70# gloss sheets to the mail/inserting house this year, without a single squawk. They were flat, aq both sides. It's gotta be 70# to be below a certain weight per sheet.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back