furniture/storage for binding supplies

bcr

Hi all,

I'm sorting my repro out and one of the final pieces of the furniture puzzle is a neat storage solution for our wire and comb spines.

They're all in boxes in the corridor outside, but it would be nice to have a compact solution so that they can be near the binding machines.

So I was wondering if you have any recommendations or suggestions for this?

I was thinking of something like:

- desktop in-trays stacked atop each other (i have a lot of spares)
- a small trolley with shelves and some bins or compartments on it
- something like a wine rack but with tubes instead of open space inbetween
- pegboard? I have loads of Ikea Skadis peg boards to fit, but they don't really have a suitable container to hang on there to hold the combs - it would need to be something a bit deeper and then angled outwards.

Doesn't need to have a huge capacity for each item - I'd still keep the boxes with the bulk of them there. It'd just be nice to have a selection of each the spines always on hand without having to lug boxes in and out the room each time we need them.

Thoughts welcome.

We have one of these.
The regularly used coils, wire elements and combs are stored on the shelves, with bulk stock and lesser used SKUs underneath the bench.
The bench itself holds a Uchida VS-200 drill, Onglematic O6P+GP tab cutter and Magnapunch 1, with wire closer also on the lower shelf.
Plenty of workspace left to the front.

Reactions: bcr
We have one of these.
The regularly used coils, wire elements and combs are stored on the shelves, with bulk stock and lesser used SKUs underneath the bench.
The bench itself holds a Uchida VS-200 drill, Onglematic O6P+GP tab cutter and Magnapunch 1, with wire closer also on the lower shelf.
Plenty of workspace left to the front.
Thanks, that looks cool.

I've got quite a deep windowsill at the perfect height, it's about 70cm deep and nearly 4m wide so my machines are on there, but there's no storage space underneath it - hence either putting something on there next to the machines, or wheeling a little trolley around with lots of bins etc on it.

i'm gonna try out the spare desk tidies i've got for the comb dies and see how i fare. may need to secure them together though as 10 of the thigns stacked high is a bit wobbly lol

We simply mounted a series of shelves on the wall directly above the binding machine and use that to store our coils. That solution does require a sufficient amount of wall space above the machine so likely won't work if you have a window there.

For other areas (like some of our envelopes) we use Wire Shelves that we added wheels to. The key thing is to get extra shelves so you can wheel it around and get to a specific boxes without having to move 10 others.

We simply mounted a series of shelves on the wall directly above the binding machine and use that to store our coils. That solution does require a sufficient amount of wall space above the machine so likely won't work if you have a window there.
This is a good idea, particularly as coils, wires and combs weigh very little, so the shelving does not need to be either substantial nor deep.

For other areas (like some of our envelopes) we use Wire Shelves that we added wheels to. The key thing is to get extra shelves so you can wheel it around and get to a specific boxes without having to move 10 others.
You fitted extra shelves onto the wire shelving unit? Or joined two units together? Grateful if you'd share a picture of it sometime !

You fitted extra shelves onto the wire shelving unit? Or joined two units together? Grateful if you'd share a picture of it sometime !
Here is an example of where we store any "less than full reams" of paper that get pulled out the printers in between runs. We have similar shelves in various combinations all over our shop depending on where we need things. Some of them are shorter than this that we use for temporary jobs.

Most of these shelving units are modular so if you buy more than one set you can combine shelves. We got lucky and picked up a pallet of damaged shelves from a company near us (somebody dropped the pallet and dinged the fronts on a bunch so they couldn't resell them at full price). We basically just did whatever shelving combination we wanted and didn't worry about how many technically "came" with each shelving unit. You do end up with a bunch of extra legs but we save those in case our needs change later and we want to switch back to other shelving arrangements.

I do know you can buy extra shelves by themselves without having to buy another full set: Here is an example of one. We have multiple brands here and they all pretty much work with each other as long as they're the same length.

You can also purchase wheels that fit into the screw socket where the "stabilization" screws would normally go if you were going to use it as a stationary shelf.

snippet.PNG

Here is an example of where we store any "less than full reams" of paper that get pulled out the printers in between runs. We have similar shelves in various combinations all over our shop depending on where we need things. Some of them are shorter than this that we use for temporary jobs.

Most of these shelving units are modular so if you buy more than one set you can combine shelves. We got lucky and picked up a pallet of damaged shelves from a company near us (somebody dropped the pallet and dinged the fronts on a bunch so they couldn't resell them at full price). We basically just did whatever shelving combination we wanted and didn't worry about how many technically "came" with each shelving unit. You do end up with a bunch of extra legs but we save those in case our needs change later and we want to switch back to other shelving arrangements.

I do know you can buy extra shelves by themselves without having to buy another full set: Here is an example of one. We have multiple brands here and they all pretty much work with each other as long as they're the same length.

You can also purchase wheels that fit into the screw socket where the "stabilization" screws would normally go if you were going to use it as a stationary shelf.

View attachment 290719
Thanks! That's a pretty smart solution! I like it

This is my 'quick & dirty' fix for the comb spines. Wire spines will take a bit more thought as I have about 3x as many varieties.

May consider the wire trolley!

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_085152215_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210604_085152215_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 221

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back