Glass like laminate?

pippip

Hi all,

We do memorial/wallet cards with usual spec, generally printed on our versant80 on 350/400gsm silk and gloss laminated (pouch and roll), round corners.

I just got a sample card in from a client and the gloss finish on it is like glass smooth, zero imperfections, I feels like plastic but I've never seen such a smooth finish off traditional laminate. I'd say in thickness is actually slightly thinner than mine. The print quality is super crisp too, great fine detail in photos and small font. I've attached the best photo I could take that managed to catch a hint of what of the finish.

Has anyone any idea of how this finish is was produced?

Attachments

• 20240517_094142.jpg
    20240517_094142.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 325
I would check with your laminate supplier. Don't know if you can get the equivalent but Skandacor has what they call 1.6mil polypro photo gloss ultragrip, and it produces a very high gloss. Not sure how to explain the gloss level but the gloss level is higher than a UV gloss.

I'll look into that polypro.

The more I examine the sample it's a much harder feel to it. With standard gloss lam I would call "soft" you could scratch or indent it pretty easily where as this is an almost hard shell like a hardened plastic.

I have to give back to the sample so I can't destroy it either to investigate.

Last edited:
Could it be a UV activated epoxy. I've seen that once from a boutique puzzle company, the finish was super high gloss and hard as a rock. It actually made the puzzle really difficult to do because the glare was so high, so while it was cool, I felt it was impractical. From what I understand of the process, the machine that does it prints and activates the epoxy nearly simultaneously.

Could it be a UV activated epoxy. I've seen that once from a boutique puzzle company, the finish was super high gloss and hard as a rock. It actually made the puzzle really difficult to do because the glare was so high, so while it was cool, I felt it was impractical. From what I understand of the process, the machine that does it prints and activates the epoxy nearly simultaneously.
Possibly, any samples I've seen of epoxy would lead me to think it would be too thick. As mentioned this card is actually thinner than my 400gsm with 40mic gloss lam.

I am wondering maybe some sort of uv coating but I don't think it could give this level of protection and strength

I have one or two reps I'm gonna ask next time I see them.

What it actually is near identical to in feel is those clear PVC covers used for binding

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back