Handling Incoming Artwork

Heather1234

We are looking for a more streamlined/efficient way to process incoming art. Historically, the sales department, estimating or project manger would forward incoming packaged files or print ready art to our prepress department (or it is send directly via FTP). The prep manager then files the art on the server and prints out a quick laser noting the specs (page count, size colors etc.) and the print out is given to a project manager to enter the order. We are finding this process tedious and time consuming but are hesitant to change the process because it works for several reasons:
  • There is one main entry point for art, files don't get MISSED, lost or duplicated
  • It is a way to spot a potential problem with the art before the order is written
  • We have more control over who has access to the art server (it's not for amateurs :) )
With the practice of sharing docs via Canva or google docs being more common it's becoming difficult to maintain this structure for receiving files due to permissions. It can also, in busy times, be extremely time consuming and slow the productivity of prepress and order entry.

Interested to hear how others handle incoming art, thank you !

A few questions that might help drive answers from others:
  1. What do you mean by "a way to process incoming art"? Do you mean how to get it into a folder for the pre-press department? Do you mean how to name the folder/files on the server?
  2. On average, how many files are you handling on a daily basis? Are we talking 5-10 a day, or 50-100 per day, etc?
  3. What exactly is the problem you're having? You described your process and why it works, but I wasn't clear on what isn't working...which part is "extremely time consuming and slow[ing] the productivity"?

I looked at your website and it doesn't look like you have a W2P software. Has your shop considered investing in one? This streamlines a lot of processes because now the customer essentially writes the job ticket as they place the order, and the files are saved to the server with a number that matches the job ticket. Several W2P's can even preflight the file, convert non-PDF documents to PDF, and setup VDP in advance. It also allows you to showcase and upsell your capabilities. For instance, your website doesn't mention anything about the amazing capabilities of the MGI 3D JETvarnish and iFoil that you invested in (unless someone digs for your equipment list). On a W2P site, that would be a category you could highlight. Same with your hybrid flatbed UV printer which can print on some amazing substrates. You mention it in text form but you don't promote it with imagery of the possibilities. Each of those materials you list can be a category that a customer chooses, selects the size, finishing options and even see a price if you choose. On the homepage, you focus on how you like the personal touch and to not just be order takers. You can choose to hide pricing and just let the system start the process for you with a completed job ticket and attached files. You can always follow up with a phone call or email to close the deal. However, I can tell you from when I worked at a shop that had very much the same thought process, so many of our customers really appreciated the streamlined process of simply placing new orders and reorders through the website. It especially saved a lot of errors and time with business card proofs because now the customers typeset their own cards on the online template.

(BTW, the large format page of your website has several grammatical errors that I've highlighted and corrected below)

We are living in a material world​

and ink on paper is just the beginning! The variety of printable materials on the market today is something we are excited about. Our printer can print on foam board, wood, plastic, acrylics, vinyl and more. Thinking of something else? We can do that too!

Large format is good for point of purchase displays, movie theaters, banks and financial institutions, retail, schools, non profits, restaurants and a whole lot more! Need help with large graphic ideas? We’ve got you covered! Contact us now. No idea is too big.

1704435980384.png

Heather,
With what you wrote, I think our product, Good2Go, may work well for you. Why?
  1. We don't try and change your workflow — we enhance it.
  2. We have a built-in "upload a file" portal that captures basic job and file specs.
  3. We automate tasks like checking files for common issues like missing fonts, low-res images, actual page sizes, etc...
  4. We provide built-in document review and approval for print.
  5. We provide a way simple way to convert email orders to digital orders in Good2Go. All you do is forward the email to Good2Go and we do the rest.
  6. We provide a workspace that anyone in your company can log-in and view the status of any job.
  7. We have a workflow to support changes and corrections.
  8. Depending on your MIS or estimating software, we may be able to integrate with it to directly share job data and file statuses.
  9. You can get started in 15 minutes or less and everything above, starting at only $50 a month.
If this sounds interesting, drop me a message, I'd be more than happy to show you what we can do and see if it matches your needs.

I hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,
Michael Reiher
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back