HP Indigo V's Ricoh Pro c9110

hojoclan

A couple of things happened in the run up to Christmas that I would like to share with you.

The company I work for is Based in North London in the UK, and I have been running our c9110 since the end of May. One of our Ricoh techs was in at the end of November to re-build some ORU parts that I had swapped out after they had reached their end of life. As always I make him a cup of coffee and then talk to him about whats going on around us, he mentioned that on company not far from us is about to swap out their Indigo, 5500 I think, with a c9110. I was quite shocked to here this. Anyway the installation went ahead in early December, I have yet to hear how he is getting on.

A couple of days before we finished for Christmas my manager was showing a bloke around, I have seen around before I did not know his identity, they came over to me and he asked if I had any samples he could look at. No problems as I always keep a few especially those with large areas of solids, or on textured stock, or 700mm length. He was impressed and asked if he could keep a few, my manager was okay with this so I said " Help yourself mate ". After he left I went over to my manager and asked who he was, my manager replied he is our Indigo rep and he is worried. One of his customers has just replaced his Indigo with a c9110 and he has several others who are looking to do the same, and he is trying to get HP to wake up and see they could have a problem here.

Now I have worked along side Indigo's for 10 years, we have two Indigo 5500's, and I have been lead to believe they satisfy a different market to laser " copiers " , trying to mimic a more litho look which is something you cannot do with toner based machines. The quality of the c9110 is top notch and on several occasion's when a customer has asked for proofs from both machines they went for the c9110, although many still prefer the Indigo look, it is its faster and cheaper to run and you don't need to run special stock or get other stock sapphire coated.

Is the market changing or is cost the only factor at the moment ????

Reactions: KB1
If I had to guess, I'd say it is more of a cost issue. When we looked at an indigo, it was just going to be all around too costly to run. Ended up going with a xerox 1000i. I know a company that just passed up an iGen 5 for an indigo though. The indigos just seemed like highly specialized equipment that you need to have very high margin applications for. If I had a client need a couple hundred auction posters or something, it would feel like an indigo would be "over qualified" for the job. I don't feel that way about other machines. But to each their own...

Having had Indigos from 2001 - 2012 I will say that they still have the best match to litho in many persons opinions but they are costly, not just clicks but maintenance intensive compared to dry toner machines. We switched to a Xerox 770 and are looking at moving to a versant 80 early next year. So imho it is a cost/price issue and most customers do not need or realize that they need the better image quality of the Indigo . . so . . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back