Illustrator CC- Extremely Slow Save Time

AJSchaeff

For any of the jobs I work on, I make a layout through NexusManager, and preview the exported PDF in Illustrator. In this process, I make necessary tweaks (extra reg marks, edit color bar, get rid of clipping masks, etc.) before I overwrite the PDF for our platemaker. The layout file I'm having difficulty with isn't a large file--only about 34MB, but when I go to save over the preexisting PDF, it has taken over an hour to save. During the entire duration it is "Collecting metadata...". Do any of you out there know of a solution to cut down this ridiculously long save time?

Thank you.

Chances are that your file has an extremely high amount of vector points and/or a lot of effects. This might be the trapping layer.

Could be the save location. You don't say if you are saving locally or to a server. If you can save quickly to your desktop its the server. If not It is the file and I second the vector pints and effects theory.

It appears you were right--rasterizing the file really sped up the process--thanks!

That poses another question--would rasterizing a file potentially mess with the trap?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back