imac and Prinergy workshop questions

Lixie15

Hi,
We are upgrading our workstations to imacs with mountain lion os new computers.

What are the best practices for getting Prinergy (5.1.2.3)Workshop installed?
And will I have any issues using my araxi preps 5.3.3 templates?

What i'm looking for is the best install procedures. I have been told this could become a nightmare!

Thanks for your help!!

Why? What is the best solution besides upgrading Prinergy? Is there a work around?

Thanks again for you reply!

Why? Because Preps 5 requires Rosetta, which doesn't exist after 10.6.8. The same rationale might apply to the Workshop client, but I don't know for sure if that's the reason.

As for workarounds, you could buy the new iMacs, but install 10.6.8 on them so everything else works for you. Not sure if there are pitfalls that might exist that would prevent you from installing an old OS on a new Mac, though.

Another option would be to keep one or two old machines as you are currently set up, then access them via screen sharing from your new iMacs for anything Preps or Prinergy related.

How are your purchasing new iMacs with Mountain Lion? Or are you downgrading? Any new Mac purchased will be coming with Mavericks installed on them. Not sure if downgrading the OS is possible or not.

How are your purchasing new iMacs with Mountain Lion? Or are you downgrading? Any new Mac purchased will be coming with Mavericks installed on them. Not sure if downgrading the OS is possible or not.

You can purchase new iMac's that have the Mountain Lion OS.

As for downgrading the OS I've been strongly advised NOT to downgrade below what has been installed from the manufacture.

Doesn't mean you can't. I've never tried and I've haven't heard of anyone else downgrading the OS.

You will not be able to downgrade a new (mid-2014) iMac to 10.6.8. Don't know about 10.8. Although I did not try it myself, I looked into it with various Mac support resources and got a clear negative on the Snow Leopard. Then again, I was told Preps 5.3 would not work on 10.6.8, but have gotten it to work fine with just a minor tweak.

Hi,
We are upgrading our workstations to imacs with mountain lion os new computers.

What are the best practices for getting Prinergy (5.1.2.3)Workshop installed?
And will I have any issues using my araxi preps 5.3.3 templates?

What i'm looking for is the best install procedures. I have been told this could become a nightmare!

Thanks for your help!!

Preps 5 won't run on Mountain Lion but you can use the templates in Prinergy with the Prinergy Signature Selection tool.

The easiest way to get workshop to run is to copy it from another Mac where it is installed and working. It will run then. Or you can use the installer to install it by spoofing the OS version so the installer will run.

Go to System->Library->CoreServices inside your OS X hard drive and open the file "SystemVersion.plist" with TextEdit. Change the system version listed under "ProductVersion" to whatever you desire. You should also change "ProductUserVisibleVersion", just so that you can confirm that the edit worked later by going to the About This Mac page. (You can access "About This Mac" by clicking the Apple icon on the upper-left of your screen.)

We have a G5 running Preps 5 only and headless. We use Screen Sharing for the newer macs (2) to use Preps. You can use a G4 also, they are cheaper we just happened to have a G5 laying about. If you run it headless remember to never shut it down, Or you will have to hunt down a monitor to set the resolution to max again. There is also a way to run 10.6 via Parallels but I haven't had time to try it yet, one day though.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back