In the market for a new B&W Plotter/Scanner Multi-roll

NEBPlots

Registered Users
Having way to many repeat problems with an old xerox plotter, non-stop banding, splotching, and the tech is constantly on call. Xerox support for our machine is practically non-existent, with only one certified tech in the entire half of our state, meaning sometimes we are down for a couple days straight. Completely unacceptable.

So I'm helping the boss look at new plotters. Requirements are a minimum 4 rolls with either 36 or 42" max width. Top scanner/copy function, and obviously a large flatbed style output tray that can accommodate at minimum size E prints.

Xerox has a nice looking machine on their site, but stand alone, no scan function.
Canon has the Oce Plotwave 900, however I've used machines with that press technology and found that the blacks aren't black, more gunmetal grey, toner wipes and scratches off easily, and ghosting of images on large jobs is a huge problem. I am uncertain if these same issues are on the canon machines as well, or if that is isolated to the other company (I think it was swiss made?)

In any given day we go through 2-4 rolls of 36x500 paper, a couple 24x500, and at least one 30x500. We scan color often, and copy mostly onto 20# paper, but also vellum and mylar.

Our current machine is hooked up to a PC that acts as a server, running Linux (distro spun by Fedora), and we use MetaPrint as our print application.

Soooo... anyone have any suggestions/experience?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back