Is the printing industry effected by Financial Crisis much?

Craig,
We have neither big iron nor big overhead. We have both digital and offset, but we're in a very competitive market. We're only 60miles from Boston with tons of printers in between that are in the same boat.

Offset shops have never given any grief to digital shops. That's in your mind. There's always been a market for both. Personally....my family and I don't find it funny that we're in this condition due to no fault of our own. If it makes you feel good then so be it.......

hnprinter, my funny comment was not a funny HaHa, but funny like, that's weird funny. I am NOT making light of what is going on by any stretch. My comment regarding grief comes from personal experience with both salesman ie. Presstek, as well graphic artists. Things like "don't you have a real printing press, we won't print our clients 500 brochures on a copier". Or, "our press uses real ink, not colored baby powder".

What I'm getting at is, now it's our turn (digital printers) to go to the customers and explain the benefits of on demand printing. Show them how we can save them money by printing smaller runs, giving them the flexibility to make changes when needed. Point out the environmental benefits of digital print. Forget about the VDP hype, go for the typical everyday stuff.

The way I see it, we have 2 choices, sit on our asses watching the doom and gloom on CNN and Fox News and sulk about what could have been. Or go out and take the opportunity to promote to companies who might not have given you the time of day last year. Will we be competitive with long runs on the offsets, no, but customers are ripe for cost saving approaches that will get their message out. This is not the end of the world, it will turn around, it always does.

nhprinter, I truly wish you the best, I am the second generation in our family business, I understand the stresses you are going through.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back