Linking 2 sites with 1 or 2 prinergy systems

tcollins

We are running Prinergy at our ste and my company has just purchased a new company and I would like to know what you think about running 1 prinergy system at the main site and having the other site login via a dedicated network to utilize Prinergy, campared to having 2 seperate prinergy systems 1 at each site.

I know that the initial cost of the extra servers and system is expensive but I think in the long run the Network connection will also be expensive.

Is anyone out the running 1 system across multiple sites, where the prepress work is done at both sites.

Many Thanks Tony

Prinergy 4.0.2.3.98

We are trying this. But... it depends on the bandwith that you have connecting the two sites. Also, have in mind the number of the Refine processors you have.

I can't say that using 1 PGY over shared VPN connection is very comfortable, but you can easily test it and see if it'll work for you/

Hi Tony

I have done exactly what you describe based on exactly the same reason (one company buying another).

Today we have a "mother" system (1 Primary, 2 Secondary's, 2 Render stations, 1 EVO and 2 CTP's) running at site 1.

On site 2 we have 1 EVO and 1 CTP. The EVO runs 1 Bit Tiff files coming from the Prinergy and can act as a emergency backup system if the line to Prinergy is lost. All operators at site 2 connects and works directly on site 1's Prinergy.

Between the two sites (50 kilometres apart) we have a private 1 Gb line.

It have been a big success and compared to having two medium systems I think the money on Hardware and licenses are bette spent at one bigger system.

Thomas

Biggest problem would definitely be getting enough bandwidth between the plants to run a client/server application.

We are doing something similar between our 3 plants. Our "Main" plant is running Heidelberg's Prinect. The other plants just have Meta's (RIPs) that work of the imposed/trapped pdf files. All work is done in the "main" plant and staff at the other plants can remote desktop/etc into a Prinect client to work on files. Files are small pdf files (compared to tiffs) and transfer very easily via ftp into hot folders.

The biggest benefit to this is you only need the one main Printready server. We were looking into Prinergy, but Creo at the time said we couldn't just send imposed pdf files, we had to export the whole job and send complete Prinergy jobs back and forth.

All that being said, we use Citrix for our MIS and AIS systems, it's pretty slick and might be worth looking into. You could run your Prinergy client off of a terminal services server with Citrix installed, and have other locations vpn into it. They would run the client as if they were sitting right beside the server.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back