Litho Varnish on Indigo Sheets

jlind

It's not too late to help a poor printer save a job. I could use a little shared life experience about varnishing indigo sheets.

Are flags going up? Or isn't it a big deal? Why should it be a big deal?

I know HP pushes UV coating, first screen and then the K-coater (they still in business?) I have spot printed Indigo sheets with varnish, in the past, with no problem. Now I need to flood varnish both sides of 100# cover preprinted on a 3050. The varnish MUST be Braden Suthin Tuff Scuff, a 100% solids concoction.

The only issue I know of with varnish is that they all yellow when exposed to heat, like in the delivery or in a truck in Las Vegas. They should still dry just fine, right? They would dry on plastic, so why not on an indigo sheet

This might not sound like a big deal, but there are 6500 12x18 sheets, and that's a lot of clicks. Call this homework. Yea or Nay printers?

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

UV Varnish

UV Varnish

Contact Craig at UV Specialties in Chicago area. He is about the best in the industry for Uv quesitons and resolutions TEL: (630) 543-1110

I guess it wasn't clear. The customer wants to use oil based 100% solids varnish on Indigo printed 100# cover. UV is NOT and option. Too slimy and shiny oft times. Thanks for the lead though.

In summary, is there any compelling reason NOT to use oil based varnish on Indigo prints? Anyone done it successfully over and over?

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

We've never used oil based varnish, but a quick search on Dscoop forums turns up some who have. At short glance it looks like it could be iffy. Oil based varnish could soften the indigo ink and the varnish may not set properly. A water based varnish or an aqueous coating likely wouldn't have these issues.

Greetings,

We have spot varnished indigo sheets successfully as well, though not a full flood. I think meddington has it right favoring aqueous over oil based. You might try testing a sample flood "drawdown" (manually coat a sheet) with the varnish and check it in a day to prove the drying time. Is the piece archival or will it not need to last forever without yellowing? Good luck!

mf.

Another alternative

Another alternative

We have a Cannon 7000, but I was in a shop recently that was using Kentucky Shine to full varnish off their Indigo. They said they had no problems with it.

Hope it's not too late.....

UV Varnish

UV Varnish

there are 37 different grades of Gloss UV you could provide a lower shine or semi matte finish.

I guess it wasn't clear. The customer wants to use oil based 100% solids varnish on Indigo printed 100# cover. UV is NOT and option. Too slimy and shiny oft times. Thanks for the lead though.

In summary, is there any compelling reason NOT to use oil based varnish on Indigo prints? Anyone done it successfully over and over?

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Just want to report on the results, since like a true entrepeneurs, we listened to all this advice and then did it anyway. It was what the customer wanted, and it worked great. These were multiple up postcards on 12x18 sheets from an Indigo 3050, flood gloss varnished with Braden Sutphin 100% solids varnish on both sides of 100# gloss cover.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

UV Coater offline

UV Coater offline

We are just now offering UV service and machines -Indigo is a great surface to coat-Let us know if we can help
[email protected]
It's not too late to help a poor printer save a job. I could use a little shared life experience about varnishing indigo sheets.

Are flags going up? Or isn't it a big deal? Why should it be a big deal?

I know HP pushes UV coating, first screen and then the K-coater (they still in business?) I have spot printed Indigo sheets with varnish, in the past, with no problem. Now I need to flood varnish both sides of 100# cover preprinted on a 3050. The varnish MUST be Braden Suthin Tuff Scuff, a 100% solids concoction.

The only issue I know of with varnish is that they all yellow when exposed to heat, like in the delivery or in a truck in Las Vegas. They should still dry just fine, right? They would dry on plastic, so why not on an indigo sheet

This might not sound like a big deal, but there are 6500 12x18 sheets, and that's a lot of clicks. Call this homework. Yea or Nay printers?

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back