Mailing software: Alternative to the Big Blue Company?

gregbatch

We are at the end of the rope with Mail Manager FS. For the money they charge is should be way more advanced than it is. Old tech that they keep patching and it just keeps getting worse. Their latest decision to do a major database upgrade at the peak of the political mail surge is the last straw. Are there any other PROFESSIONAL options out there that would be sufficient for a small mail house? Must handle multiple client profiles. We could do about 90% of the work with any decent program. But 10% needs a strong application. Periodicals a must. Full Service a must.

I ditched accuzip for the same reason and have just been doing the mailings in Excel without IMBs. My volumes are super small though.

We use Lorton Data's A-Qua mailer. I've only used it a few times just for cross training, but my co-worker seems to like it, and the support has always been quick and responsive if he has issues.

I’ve always found it a fascinating business how accuzip has this application that looks the equivalent of a 90s Accord and somehow they manage to collect their $$$$ every year for this buggy POS. But I don’t really know what the alternative is either.

I have used BM-Win Plus for years. It won’t help you with your periodicals but for the cost, it will certainly get you through the political season without downtime. Most of my mailings are under 5,000 pieces but I have done the occasional 50,000 postcards and it had no problems. No built-in CASS/NCOA and for that I use Melissa data Listware Online and then import updated file.

Not an answer for everything you need but at $159/year an excellent backup that’s well worth it.

I ditched accuzip for the same reason and have just been doing the mailings in Excel without IMBs. My volumes are super small though.
If your mailings are small and you want to use IMB you may want to check out the IMsb Intelligent Mail small business tool, it's free to use on USPS site for smaller mailings.
The tool is available when you're logged into the Customer Gateway
USPS IMsb Tool.png

@gregbatch As you already know, your options are getting smaller everyday. As of right now your two options are Bluecrest (bcc) or Accuzip for mailing software unless you want to code your own and use an API for background processes (that opens the door to more).

I wish I had better news for you, as volumes drop everything is going to tighten up.

If your mailings are small and you want to use IMB you may want to check out the IMsb Intelligent Mail small business tool, it's free to use on USPS site for smaller mailings.
The tool is available when you're logged into the Customer Gateway
View attachment 293136
I highly recommend this process.

It's a little rough around the edges but once you get it figured out it's an amazing little tool.

You are allowed to process lists of up to 50,000 recipients. You can process first class or marketing mail class using letter, card, or parcel. There used to be an annual limit of 250,000 pieces per year, but that limitation has been removed. You DO need to have a permit though.

You select which kind of mailing you want to do, upload your list, and it will help you process by adding +4 and IMB info, as well as allowing you to remove duplicates or undeliverable addresses. You can then have it spit out labels you can print and attach to mailpieces, or a list you can use to mail merge before printing. It then gives you some paperwork you can just bring to the BMEU and they scan it for acceptance.

I was hunting for a solution too, but once I got used to the iMSB tool, we have no need to pay for one since USPS seems to allow us to do it for free.

updateyourlist.com will CASS and NCOA for $3.00 per 1000. Prepaid credits. I've known about the IMsb tool, but never used it. Won't help for the political work because they are usually around 100k each. Tecmailing has a hosted solution for a few grand a year, unlimited NCOA and not seat based.

Tecmailing is far from "powerful".

The IMsb Tool is not designed for use by Mail Service Providers who preparemail on behalf of others. Other options to take advantage of Full-Service and Intelligent Mailbarcode benefits are to contact a Software Vendor or Mail Service Provider (MSP).

The IMsb Tool is not designed for use by Mail Service Providers who preparemail on behalf of others. Other options to take advantage of Full-Service and Intelligent Mailbarcode benefits are to contact a Software Vendor or Mail Service Provider (MSP).
Oh man I'm glad I'm an inplant so I'm not in violation, but dang I had no idea. I figured small print shops were the "small businesses" they meant.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back