Need help with cable setup/screen is blank - Docucolor 242

jonmck

I just got a Docucolor 242 in today and the Xerox tech won't be available until Tuesday due to the holiday. I think I have the cables plugged in correctly, but wanted to see if I could get some help on where the fiery cable, etc. plugs in BECAUSE.......when I turn on machine, it sounds like it is working properly. The fiery even shows 00 on the back which means no fault errors. However, the touchscreen is blank....nothing shows at all. I have played with the contract, but no luck. The lights for service, job status, etc. by the buttons on the screen all light up and blink at times. The interrupt light was blinking for a while, but it stopped. So I know the screen is getting power, but nothing shows on the screen itself. So maybe I have some cables connected wrong? Please help! I can't find anything online that shows me where to put the cables. I called Xerox and they said only Level 2 tech support could help me and they won't be back until Tuesday.

THANKS!

Hello Jonmck,

I never seen a Docucolor naked or otherwise, but I've known a few Docutechs and IGens in my day. So with a grain of salt;

The monitor cable, Fiery, Ethernet, power etc. are only going to have one mate on the machine, so that's easy. The monitor should have a power cable and an on-off switch/button somewhere on the front or the back of the monitor. I've seen 'em where the monitor cable actually feeds through a grommet into the machine. Annoying. If you know that the monitor has power and is on, try power cycling the machine. So, total switches: there may be two power switches for the machine (one for the guts, one for the interface), one for the Fiery, one for the monitor.

If you decide on this route, I would turn off in this order: 1-Interface 2-Guts 3-Fiery 4-Monitor.
Turn on in this order: 1-Monitor 2-Fiery 3-Guts 4-Interface.

As I said, I've not been intimate with a Docucolor, but I've had my share of relationships with production-level copiers/digital printers.

We just got one of the spanky new small office-level Xerox copiers and the documentation is virtually non-existent. Most of the info is on CDs and there are no clues pointing to which CD to start with... you just have to throw them in and start fishing.

Infuriating.

Hope this helps. Hey, at least you have the long weekend to get to know each other.

T

Last edited:
Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't see a switch for the monitor. There is a contrast wheel, but I have turned it all over and nothing helps. I see a main power switch for the machine and a switch on the fiery.

Frustrating!

Hi jonmck,

Well, today is Friday, how did you do? Hope the Xerox Techs helped out.

T

Xerox DocuColor 242 No Power!

Xerox DocuColor 242 No Power!

There was no answer to the original question. Can anyone tell me how to fix the no power problem as mentioned in the original post?

The Attached Fiery has power but the Copier unit which gives the Fiery it's power is not showing anything on the screen.

Some Please Help!!!!!! Xerox is 2 days out on service calls.

Reseat all the cables, check the contrast on the screen. Turn off and unplug, leave for two mins, try everything again. Have you tried printing using CWS? If that works then you're in business, can do everything from there. If that doesn't work there's not really a whole lot else you can do. Did you check the cables for bent pins? If you have a multimeter try and confirm that they ain't broken.

I've got a 260 sitting beside me right now and there's only one cable to the screen. Symptoms sound like a broken cable to me.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back