Obtained a Canon ImagePROGRAF 9000

bartimina

Hi, All -

Our shop just obtained a wide format printer second hand (Canon ImagePROGRAF 9000) and we have no experience as a shop with wide format printing. Don't laugh. We would like to incorporate it into our workflow as a digital proofer and perhaps adding "Posters" to our list of services. But...how do we get started? Is this a decent piece of equipment? Has anyone out there run one of these devices?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
bartimina :)

I have an epson that is much smaller then what you've purchased and we only use it for posters and banners (excellent output).
My suggestion is you start out first by going to Canon's website, I'm sure they offer some good information on that equipment, since it is afterall, theirs.
Best regards...

Hello bartimina,

first of all: You bought a very capable and decent printer that will do exactly what you plan.

For posters and photo print you probably won't need anything else, the printer's driver will be the suitable application that will enable very good color prints in nearly all cases.

As you want to extent the printer's use to more productive prints and maybe print out different images on wider media formats or automate your workflow, you might consider buying a RIP software. But this is neither useful for the occasional print nor cheap. It will give you great advantages in color management and controlling you workflow though.

If you are really going into proofs you will not get around of buying a proof software (normally you can purchase an extension to an existing RIP software or a stand alone product that will contain many RIP functions as well). Proofing is a very demanding task, it needs constant supervision of the printer, the profiles you are using and some other aspects.

Your printer is able to so all that. You should evaluate your and your customers needs carefully before jumping into it. As the software does not come cheap and the process requires some understanding and training from your side this will only make sense if there is a good chance you will make money with it.

the iPF9000 was the first Canon's 60" 12 colors LFP and i personally sold the first one in my area back at that time.

as starting, i dont think you will need a RIP software for the machine, the driver can does a lot.
just upgrade the firmware and driver from canon's website.. it takes few minutes.

also, at that time theres this software provided by Canon called PosterArtist came as free of charge with the machine .. its an easy of use software you can use it to design posters easily.

also, check the free layout option or "nesting" as we call it in RIP software. i'm sure it will be very useful option for you.

should you require any additional info please dont hesitate to contact me
here's me e-mail address: [email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back