OCE Plotwave 750 Possible Design Flaw?

I've worked in wide format print reproduction for the AEC Community for almost 4 years now and have seen my fair share of problems between KIPs, OCEs, HPs, and Xerox plotters. I've recently came into working with 2 OCE Plotwave 750s and I'm curious to learn if anyone else has experienced this same issue.

About 70% of the time I submit a Job requiring 30'' Bond and the roll will jam itself in the feeder located in the drawer. The media never enters the plotter... Thankfully. (I'd rather have it jam in the drawer than have to deal with it jamming in the Folding unit/Plotter that often.) Occasionally the feeder unit will just tear the middle of the bond and rip out a triangular shape almost like the drawer is relying on the feeder alone and not the motors turning the roll. (Picture 1) Usually it just bunches up on itself and I have to retract it manually and then trim a foot of wrinkled paper. The service technicians who arrive are very helpful and usually take apart the machine to remove bits of paper that have torn and remain stuck in the actual feeding unit. They have even replaced both drawers entirely in each machine to try and eliminate this issue. I've used various media types ranging from 20-24# plain bond @ 450-650 ft, from different regional vendors ensuring it wasn't an issue with the media. (When you deal with one issue long enough the company contracted with your equipment begins to blame other variables after they have exhausted what they think is the only issue, hence my username and KIP!) I'm sure most of you are aware of that by now.

I've noticed that when the roll is finished loading and trimming the sheet it will reverse itself back allowing it to either send roll 1 or 2; These both share the same drawer. (Picture 3) More often than not the roll ends up like this after trimming and reversing. (Picture 4.0 4.1 4.2). I believe that this is the design issue, and when the paper tries to feed itself back into the machine it jams because its now skewed. Due to the nature of and logistics of who needs plans the OCE is connected to a folder and plans ordered vary in size. I wouldn't be as annoyed if I was sending a set of drawings all at one size. I'm sending around 20-30 drawings that are unrelated in size and need to maintain a preselected order at a time so the plotter switches between -24''-30''-36'' media often.

So do I print everything of the same size and then manually sort 500-800 drawings a day back into a predefined order just to limit switching and potential jamming? I don't have time for that..

I have exhausted just about every other idea I can think of for what might cause this issue.

Anyone here have similar problems and possible solutions?

Attachments

• photo6309.jpg
    photo6309.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 227
  • photo6311.jpg
    photo6311.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 269
  • photo6313.jpg
    photo6313.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 240
  • photo6312.jpg
    photo6312.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 252
  • photo6314.jpg
    photo6314.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 252
Best solution is to find your salesperson, hold him hostage at gun poiint, and call OCE and tell them to fix it or this innocent man will get the bullet. Has worked for me 3 of the 4 times that I have had similar issues. Worth a try.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back