Pantone Premium Metallics

Gregg

I was just told by a colleague that the Pantone Premium Metallic inks are far more expensive than the standard Pantone Metallics. And that our print vendors, both domestic and foreign, would rather mix special inks than use the Premium inks.

The only difference (that i see) is the Pantone Silver base (used in premuims) versus the Pantone 877 base (used in standards).

Anyone able to corroborate this, or offer any additional information about the cost differences between premium and standard metallic inks?

Hi Gregg,

The Pantone Silver base is a non-leafing silver vs. 877 could be leafing or non-leafing, depending on your ink company. We charge the same for the 8000 series and the 10000 series.

I like the new book, with all the colors being made out of silver, they are easier to replicate than some of the 874 mixes. Also, the ones I have QC'd are printed at relatively the same ink film weight which makes QC easier.

Is it possible that there is a communication issue and someone is confusing the premium metallics with vacuumized metallics? This would make sense to your post as they are very expensive and hard to obtain the bang for the buck imo.

Hope this was helpful.

Best,

Cold

a little Birdy - who clearly does not work with or for Pantone - shared;

" STOP using Pantone because there is no math model to measure metallic, so it's always going to be hit and miss.

Use the Color-logic system - as they measure the overprinting process inks using any given process control that the printer currently employs. "

I would like to share that I have used the Color-Logic.com system and like it very much.

Not sure if this is off subject, sorry if it is, please ignore if you like.

Just here to help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back