PDF Files Problems

HammadSheikh

Hi
I am facing the problem.
I am using Harlequin Rip V5.
I am currently using method of .PS files for the Rip.
Now I want to do work with .PDF files.
But I am facing 2 Problems.

1- The files from Corel Draw X3 and X5 sent to RIP changes their names. i.e something like this 1.by (b in shape of beta)

2- Option of 2Across and 2Up is not working right. Because RIP is considering all pages of 4 colours of one job separately.

Also the files sent from Corel Draw X3 with RGB images showed Black and White view in RIP.

My machine is FTR 3050.

Thank In Advance.

Hi HammadSheikh,

Harlequin 5.0 is a very old RIP. I would check your documentation to see what type of PDF support it has. It might only support PDF 1.2. I think it was version 5.5 which added support for PDF 1.3 but I can't remember exactly.

Also, are you preflighting the files and making any corrections (e.g. RGB to CMYK) before sending them to your RIP? You'll want to make those corrections upfront if you can.

Greg

You may want to look into some imposition software so that you could send pre imposed PDF files to the RIP. inpO2 is a good solution. As mentioned by Greg you may also want to look into upgrading your RIP software so that you can support at least PDF v.1.4 which would give you support for transparencies. You can find out more about the PDF versions supported by the RIP by viewing the chart on our upgrade page:

Harlequin RIP Upgrades, Harlequin RIP Upgrade, Harlequin RIP Updates, RIP Software Update, RIP Updates, Postscript 3 Upgrades

If you do not upgrade your existing RIP you would need to save back to a PDF version that is supported by your RIP.

Thank Greg For Your Quick Reply.

Can you please help how i have to make PDF for Prepress or Rip from Corel so it will me help me to understand what step i am missing.

Thank in Advance

Hi HammadSheikh,

I'm not a Corel user, so I wouldn't be much help. There are probably others on the board who are more knowledgeable and can offer some advice.

I think you may have to consider upgrading your RIP if you want to send PDF. If Corel X3 and X5 only output PDF 1.3 or higher, you still won't be able to process them on your RIP (if it only supports PDF 1.2). So you would still be stuck.

If you do upgrade your RIP, I recommend using whatever option Corel has that exports PDF/X-1a:2001. It's based on PDF 1.3. PDF/X-1a will not allow RGB colors or missing fonts. It's a good start in trying to make sure your files are print-ready. If you were to go with a new RIP, you could then accept newer versions of PDF which contain transparency, layers, etc..

Greg

DEAR Greg
So you can guide me about PDF ripping in RIP because i am facing the same problem from using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
I think something missing in my RIP.

Thanks

Hi HammadSheikh,

Your Harlequin RIP is too old to process today's modern PDFs. It does not have the libraries to properly handle PDF 1.3 and higher. Unless you want to purchase a RIP upgrade, I recommend you send PostScript to your RIP.

Greg

There are two ways to generate a PDF from Corel Draw (all versions)

1. print to a postscript file (usually a .prn rather than .ps) then distill it with Acrobat Distiller (I would not use any non-Adobe distilling application. For reading, OK. But prepress distilling, no).

You can also send this prn file directly to the rip. Usually this doesn't work well with composite workflows...you will need to use the Corel separations engine. Your imposition thru the Corel imposition scheme should work just dandy that way.

2. Publish to PDF from the File menu (only for the last 4-5 versions). AFAIK though, you don't have access to the imposition scheme thru the Publish to PDF method, so will need a separate imposition engine such as Quite Imposing.

Which are you trying to do?

And, yes....Hqn 5.5 is very old (close to 10 years old!). You will not be able to send Acrobat 5 or 6 or newer PDFs to the rip without an error. So will need to make an Acrobat 3 or possibly 4 (I'm not sure about 4)

Last edited:
Hi Adcom!
Thank for an informative reply!
I am a prepress service provider in Pakistan.
So i have to use all Versions of Corel Draw.
In Pakistan mostly printing press and designers use corel draws of all versions.
And now i am using the method of .PS. But in this method i mostly faced errors from corel files rather than other software like photoshop etc, like fountains or shadows missing or any bitmap missing in RIP.
and currently in My city and region mostly the RIP v5.5 is running except a competitor who is using Apogee and using PDF files for Rip and he is perfect.

Therefore i read in Rip v5.5 manual that it support and PDF files are error free of missing anything but the only problem as i mention above is that Rip read 4 Colour pdf files as single paged file and did not use option of 2Across or 2up.

Thanking in Advance.

To really answer the question we need to see what is going. Setting up a remote screen/web meeting is the way to do it. I am pretty confident that you have most of the tools to make this work. But the age of the RIP is a real problem. Not necessarily an insurmountable problem though. But unless we see the screens it will be very hard to help you. Maybe we can set aside some time.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back