PDF Size Issues from poor workflow, any tips?

ReproElectroProspero

I've inherited quite a few files which are abominations. Made a few of them myself, too, so I'm not blameless. The situation is that we have several large calendar INDD documents that are needed in several sizes and formats. So there's one INDD file that makes the base calendar, than many of the variations are created by placing the PDF of the calendar and chopping it up, moving around, and adding things to the document before saving THAT as another PDF.

For example, the base calendar is a 24" x 36" document. This is saved as a PDF. Then that PDF is placed in a new document and chopped into 12 pieces, moving things around to create the same calendar in 36" x 24". This is helpful because when there is a change, we can modify the base calendar and save it as a PDF, which will then update the other versions/formats of this calendar.

This problem this has created is that the file sizes of the downstream calendars are 20-30x the size of the original, presumably because Acrobat is keeping the full PDF of the various pieces that were cropped, chopped, and moved around the canvas...instead of just saving the portion of the linked PDF that is visible. I am trying to create a workflow to get rid of this extra data, but every Acrobat setting I save it as still has a file size that is way larger than it should be. When I run preflight and try to optimize for size, Acrobat seems to hang for hours. The file I'm trying to reduce the size of is only 350mb or so, so I think I'm just confusing the program somehow with all of these frames.

Anyone ever deal with a similar issue? Any tips on workflow to create better PDFs when they consist of placed/cropped images of larger PDFs? Perhaps there's a setting in the Acrobat export menu that would help? I really don't want to have to recreate these files in the various formats, haha. Thanks in advance!

Indesign will crop images to their clip frame (option is on by default) but nothing else.
That's in the PDF output options so make sure it's on.

In Preflight here are various techniques for cropping content that is completely outside the media box of the PDF, you should make a separate fix up or action list for this dependent on your preflight application so it focuses on that one task.

If you've got layers of content there are also preflight options to remove any content that is not required to Rip and Image the file, but they does take time as it is a complex calculation.

Also on Indesign export you should define the output resolution to your chosen value.
There are lot's of things you can do with preflight to optimize the file, but some of them do take time.

PitStop Options? Global Changes... Remove Non-Printing Data. Remove outside Page Box. Minimize File size.
(Not a pitstop expert)
I really need to buy Pitstop. Thx for the reminder why lol.
Indesign will crop images to their clip frame (option is on by default) but nothing else.
That's in the PDF output options so make sure it's on.

In Preflight here are various techniques for cropping content that is completely outside the media box of the PDF, you should make a separate fix up or action list for this dependent on your preflight application so it focuses on that one task.

If you've got layers of content there are also preflight options to remove any content that is not required to Rip and Image the file, but they does take time as it is a complex calculation.

Also on Indesign export you should define the output resolution to your chosen value.
There are lot's of things you can do with preflight to optimize the file, but some of them do take time.
I do have the clip image data to frame option on. Still generates enormous files though. Compression is standard for High Quality Print. Preflight using "Online Publishing - Optimize for Quality" eventually worked. I let it run overnight and the 350mb file is now 23mb with no noticeable change in quality.

I think I was just hoping someone had a magic bullet for similar issues. I think I may just need a stronger processor if I'm messing with files of this scale.

I would eliminate the stage of making and placing a PDF of the master document, instead placing the INDD master. That way, when the master is updated, the other INDD files will ask to update links when next loaded, all round much safer in terms of version control.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back