PDF's made on Mac different then PC?

wonderings

They have switched us all over to PC here at work, of course no one is all that thrilled about it in prepress. We have the latest updates of Adobe CC and are using an ancient version of Apogee to basically send files to our Indigo as well as to make plates on our AGFA (rebranded Screen CTP). We have been getting a lot of failed files in Apogee with PDF's made in Indesign. We have noticed that if we take the same file and save the PDF in the same version of InDesign on a Mac the PDF goes through Apogee fine. Is the Windows version of Indesign doing something different when it creates a PDF? I have test both OS's, same versions, one file works, the other does not. It does not make any sense to me. What is going on here? Anyone have any thoughts or insight?

I'm having the same issue, but the other way around. Fiery is crashing with files made from a Mac via InDesign, but only maybe 1 out of 20 files made from the Mac are causing this. Probably seeing somewhere close to 1/100 or lower rates for Windows-based file creation.

Sorry to not answer your question directly.

I'm having the same issue, but the other way around. Fiery is crashing with files made from a Mac via InDesign, but only maybe 1 out of 20 files made from the Mac are causing this. Probably seeing somewhere close to 1/100 or lower rates for Windows-based file creation.

Sorry to not answer your question directly.
So if you take the same native Indesign file and make a PDF on PC and Mac it handles differently on your Fiery? Sounds like the same issue and maybe showing there is something different in how both operate in different OS's

In theory, if you take the exact same InDesign document that you have on a Mac and then migrate the source documents and resources over to a Windows-based system running the same version of InDesign, the PDF files generated from the Windows-based system should match exactly the PDF files generated on the Mac.

The PDF creation capabilities of InDesign (and for that matter Illustrator and Photoshop as well) are not dependent upon any operating system services, but rather Adobe-developed libraries which are effectively identical between platforms. The only difference that might be seen in the resultant PDF files might be metadata indicating which platform InDesign was running on.

Note that I included resources in my first statement above. If there are any differences between the font, ICC color profile, and PDF option files that you using on Windows versus Mac, yes, you could conceivably see differences although such differences should generally not cause “failures” as you describe them. Exactly what type of failures are you experiencing? RIP crashes, diagnostic error messages and premature job termination, color issues, graphics anomalies (such as transparency issues)?

How “ancient” is “ancient” in terms of the Apogee that you are using? Why are you even using that intermediate step?

Do the files from both platforms for the same original InDesign documents display correctly on screen? If you run Preflight (either the built-in preflight in Acrobat, which is actually Callas, or other third party preflight plug-ins such as PitStop), do you get any different diagnostics between the files from the different platforms?

If you do a compare of the resultant PDF files from the same InDesign document from both Mac and Windows systems, what differences do you think you actually see? Have you even run the resultant PDF files from both platforms through software to show the actual differences?

How are the PDF files generated by InDesign being transmitted to the Apogee? Some utility program provided for the Apogee? Sneakernet? FTP or similar protocols? Sometimes these programs try to be “clever” and improperly muck around with CR, LF, and CR/LF line ending characters or for that matter with any non-ASCII character.

For what it is worth, from the time of the early InDesign 1.0 prereleases until current times (over 20-something years), I never saw cross-platform issues in terms of the actual PDF or for that matter PostScript generation from this software and I've used both platforms for development, testing, and production purposes (i.e., I'm a fanboy of neither Apple nor Microsoft).

- Dov

In theory, if you take the exact same InDesign document that you have on a Mac and then migrate the source documents and resources over to a Windows-based system running the same version of InDesign, the PDF files generated from the Windows-based system should match exactly the PDF files generated on the Mac.

The PDF creation capabilities of InDesign (and for that matter Illustrator and Photoshop as well) are not dependent upon any operating system services, but rather Adobe-developed libraries which are effectively identical between platforms. The only difference that might be seen in the resultant PDF files might be metadata indicating which platform InDesign was running on.

Note that I included resources in my first statement above. If there are any differences between the font, ICC color profile, and PDF option files that you using on Windows versus Mac, yes, you could conceivably see differences although such differences should generally not cause “failures” as you describe them. Exactly what type of failures are you experiencing? RIP crashes, diagnostic error messages and premature job termination, color issues, graphics anomalies (such as transparency issues)?

How “ancient” is “ancient” in terms of the Apogee that you are using? Why are you even using that intermediate step?

Do the files from both platforms for the same original InDesign documents display correctly on screen? If you run Preflight (either the built-in preflight in Acrobat, which is actually Callas, or other third party preflight plug-ins such as PitStop), do you get any different diagnostics between the files from the different platforms?

If you do a compare of the resultant PDF files from the same InDesign document from both Mac and Windows systems, what differences do you think you actually see? Have you even run the resultant PDF files from both platforms through software to show the actual differences?

How are the PDF files generated by InDesign being transmitted to the Apogee? Some utility program provided for the Apogee? Sneakernet? FTP or similar protocols? Sometimes these programs try to be “clever” and improperly muck around with CR, LF, and CR/LF line ending characters or for that matter with any non-ASCII character.

For what it is worth, from the time of the early InDesign 1.0 prereleases until current times (over 20-something years), I never saw cross-platform issues in terms of the actual PDF or for that matter PostScript generation from this software and I've used both platforms for development, testing, and production purposes (i.e., I'm a fanboy of neither Apple nor Microsoft).

- Dov
This is why I find this confusing, there should be no differences. I set the file up in windows, placing the supplied PDF (this is not isolated to one PDF from one client, but across various clients) in Indesign, I check things out, usually run a preflight in Acrobat to convert to CMYK. I then package my Indesign file and then make a PDF for print. The exported file fails in Apogee. I take the same packaged file over to my MacBook Pro, export the PDF again and drop the same file back into Apogee after transfering the new PDF back to PC and into Apogee. The file passes and goes through to the Indigo.

- Files look identical in both Mac and PC, no font issues or anything else

- Exported files are identical on both Mac and PC.

- Files are placed in Apogee by drag and drop into the client software

This is a new problem that has seemingly come out of the blue. We have worked exclusively with PC for about 7 or 8 months now and this has never been an issue.

The initial warning it gives me in Apogee is "It was not possible to generate a thumbnail for page 1-2"
If I still try and proceed the next error where it fails is "an unexpected error as occurred, try reprocessing the job". A super helpful error message I know!

In doing some more tests this morning I found that even the resaves from Mac Indesign were failing so I have ruled out the OS. What I have found is it is the latest update or release of Indesign. I loaded V17 (2022) and did the same thing and it worked fine. Not sure what would have changed in the latest version that our old Apogee. When I get a bit more time I am going to try and go back one update of the latest version of Indesign and see if I can narrow down when the issue starts.

Not sure if it's the case, but there's a bug in the latest release of Indesign that generates a bug on the PDFs. It happens both in Windows and Mac. We already had a few PDFs failing from that error. Usually it showns if you open in Acrobat and browse through the pages.
We are getting that error in XMF.
More info here:

Not sure if it's the case, but there's a bug in the latest release of Indesign that generates a bug on the PDFs. It happens both in Windows and Mac. We already had a few PDFs failing from that error. Usually it showns if you open in Acrobat and browse through the pages.
We are getting that error in XMF.
More info here:
That is most likely our culprit, it worked fine before the latest update. Hopefully they get this patched soon! Thanks!

InDesign 18.5 should fix this issue (provided this known issue is the culprit for your problems):

Depending on where you're located, the update might not be available in the CC app yet.

I see you are placing the supplied PDF into InDesign and I have a few questions. More as am understanding to help provide a solution.
1. What application and platform created the supplied PDF?
2. Why are you placing the supplied PDF into InDesign?
3. Have you tried sending the supplied PDF directly into Apogee? If so, what happens?

InDesign 18.5 should fix this issue (provided this known issue is the culprit for your problems):

Depending on where you're located, the update might not be available in the CC app yet.
It does not fix the issue, I was hoping it would but got the same issues as with previous version. I use the beta now when I want to save a PDF that needs to run through our version of Apogee in order for it to work.

I see you are placing the supplied PDF into InDesign and I have a few questions. More as am understanding to help provide a solution.
1. What application and platform created the supplied PDF?
2. Why are you placing the supplied PDF into InDesign?
3. Have you tried sending the supplied PDF directly into Apogee? If so, what happens?
1 - The ones I have checked have all been created in latest version of Indesign
2 - I check bleeds and run my preflights in Indesign so I funnel everything through that to check the file over
3 - If the supplied PDF's are created with the troubled version of Indesign it is the same problem.

Hi all, there is a definite bug in PDFs exported from InDesign v18.4 and 18.5. Image data dropping off, not ripping or parsing in software such as Agfa Apogee, OneVision Asura, Alwan Color Optimiser, etc; If you back grade to v18.3 the problem is gone. I have logged it with Adobe, please do the same if you are having issues.

Hi all, there is a definite bug in PDFs exported from InDesign v18.4 and 18.5.

if you're on Mac, are you updated to macOS 13.5? this fixed some issues to 18.5 users (although the ones that were reported weren't related to PDF export).

Hi all, v19.01 of InDesign still has this issue. Adobe are "working on it" ??. Any feed back from anyone else?

They have switched us all over to PC here at work, of course no one is all that thrilled about it in prepress. We have the latest updates of Adobe CC and are using an ancient version of Apogee to basically send files to our Indigo as well as to make plates on our AGFA (rebranded Screen CTP). We have been getting a lot of failed files in Apogee with PDF's made in Indesign. We have noticed that if we take the same file and save the PDF in the same version of InDesign on a Mac the PDF goes through Apogee fine. Is the Windows version of Indesign doing something different when it creates a PDF? I have test both OS's, same versions, one file works, the other does not. It does not make any sense to me. What is going on here? Anyone have any thoughts or insight?
FYI: AGFA Apogee released a Hotfix a couple a months ago for Apogee v12: HF_93056_PDFRender_184IndesignFiles
For us this solved the issue with Apogee having trouble to parse PDF-files from newer Indesign versions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back