Pitstop causing Acrobat to take ~5 minutes to start up

Personally I think Acrobat Pro has always been horribly slow to startup on a Mac compared to PC, adding PitStop only makes it worse. But I also think it has improved a lot with the latest versions. I'm running Acrobat 8 with PitStop 8 and starts up much faster.

Also note that the number of fonts you have loaded will have a significant impact and always restart your Mac or PC after starting an application once if you want to compare times. With all the caching going on it will startup faster the second time without a reboot.

Personally I think Acrobat Pro has always been horribly slow to startup on a Mac compared to PC, adding PitStop only makes it worse. But I also think it has improved a lot with the latest versions. I'm running Acrobat 8 with PitStop 8 and starts up much faster.

Also note that the number of fonts you have loaded will have a significant impact and always restart your Mac or PC after starting an application once if you want to compare times. With all the caching going on it will startup faster the second time without a reboot.

Correct, PitStop Professional takes some time to cache fonts and load the different features. They have done several fixes for the 08 release on this matter.

Cheers,
Brain

$2,519? That's extremely steep. And it's an upgrade. $3,149 for the full version. That's at least two licenses for CS4.

They are not aiming this at a smallish printshop like ours, obviously.

$2,519? That's extremely steep. And it's an upgrade. $3,149 for the full version. That's at least two licenses for CS4.

They are not aiming this at a smallish printshop like ours, obviously.

Hey Republic,

You have to put things a little bit in perspective. I agree on the fact that the upgrade price is on the high end, but in several cases it is proven to be the best solution.
It's a stand-alone product that strips down the PDF file and allow you to perform real in-depth edits. If it's a shading you want to change or you want to add a separation or technical color. Zoom in and highlight ink coverage issues, flatten transparency, etc. Next to that PitStop Extreme is using the same PitStop Library as the other Enfocus Products so quality is guaranteed.

I would suggest you download their 30 day trial version and decide for yourself.

Cheers,
Brain

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back