Preps crash - badly!!!

Hi All

I'm Running Odystar 4.5, on a MacPro Dual Quad Core 3ghz, 18gb Ram, OS X Server 10.4.11, Preps 5.3.1... for description purposes this will be refered to as 1st MacPro.

Basically Monday Morning, Preps Crashed, and Froze the 1st MacPro... So I restarted the Mac and it now the Preps icon will bounce in the dock and then simply stop bouncing????
It Just won't start up... Things I have Tried...

1) Re installed Preps - Still bounces in the dock and stops...
2) Clean erase and install of OS on the hard drive with JUST Preps installed - Still bounces in the dock and stops...
3) Install Preps on 2nd MacPro - This works, so surely CAN'T be the dongle??
4) Whip out 2nd MacPro Harddrive and insert into the 1st MacPro - start up Preps Works - Can't be the 1st MacPro then... Harddrive Issue???
5) Purchase new harddrive - Clean erase and install of OS on the new hard drive with JUST Preps installed - Still bounces in the dock and stops...
6) Hmmm OS X Server software issue??? - Installed Preps on 2nd OS X Server 10.4.11 - Works Fine.... Arrghhhhhh!!!
7) Phone Kodak - they have no idea....
8) Install 2nd OS X Server software onto 1st MacPro, including the 2nd serial (Off the network of course) Preps installed - Still bounces in the dock and stops...

Arrghhhh anyone got any ideas???? Preps HAS to be on the 1st MacPro WITH Odystar workflow.... otherwise I would simply put it on another machine....

I DO have another dong;e on the way but not certain this will resolve my issue....

Cheers

Pete

Try taking the new hard drive from step 5 with the fresh OS X install and put this hard drive into the 2nd MacPro. Does Preps work?

Take the original hard drive and put it in the 2nd MacPro. Does it work?

If both work, it sounds like a hardware issue, ram, motherboard, etc.

Cheers

I just this minute tried that - and to no avail... It does exactly the same on my machine...

Starts to bounce in the dock the simply stops...

This is really annoying...

Cheers tho..

Pete

Permissions on OSX!

I would look into repairing your permissions on the bad install. This sort of sounds like that.

Good luck!
Michael

Anyone using preps on an intel macpro???

Anyone using preps on an intel macpro???

Re: Preps crash - badly!!!

I'm now being told it is a Power PC program only and is not supported on an Intel MacPro - albeit - it has run smoothly for two years on a MacPro???

Would like to know anyone else using Preps on a MacPro

Cheers

Pete

I'm now being told it is a Power PC program only and is not supported on an Intel MacPro - albeit - it has run smoothly for two years on a MacPro???

Would like to know anyone else using Preps on a MacPro

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

We have Preps 5.1.5 installed on several Intel MacPro's and are not experiencing any issues.

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Cool

I'm informed by Kodak it is supported on Intel Macs as it runs on Rosetta...

Hopefully Kodak will be fixing this for me soon...

Since Preps 6 is release you will probably not see a fix for Preps 5.3.1.

Have you tried swapping ram between the 2 machines?

Is there any additional devices attached to the 1st MacPro? ie an extra USB card, SCSI card, additional USB dongle (besides Preps). Only have the devices absolutely required to run the OS installed, anything else could be the problem.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back