Presidential race decided by apostrophe usage?

gordo

Is it just me? I've noticed a distinct difference between the U.S. Presidential candidates in their official graphics as far as their use of the apostrophe is concerned. It seems that the McCain camp tend to either omit the apostrophe all together or get it backwards, while the Obama camp tend to use the correct version.

Apostrophe.jpg

I wonder how many voters will be swayed by concerns about candidate apostrophe usage. Typographers, I'm sure, won't be overlooking this key issue.

Of course, we Canadians conduct our elections so quickly that most of us wouldn't have noticed.

best, gordo

Gordon...

For McCain, that's really an 80 upside-down -
indicating his age after two terms.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I had the same impression that the 08 was a flopped 80 in refrence to his age as well... if McCain wins imagine the conspiracy theories that will abound from this.

"Country First"

my wife is a reader. I choose books with pretty pictures. any way you should check out a book called "Eats, shoots and leaves."

my wife is a reader. I choose books with pretty pictures. any way you should check out a book called "Eats, shoots and leaves."

My wife has the same book. I have yet to read it, but i get a kick out of that title every time I see it.

From Wikipedia:

The title of the book is an amphibology, a verbal fallacy arising from an ambiguous grammatical construction, and derived from a joke on bad punctuation:

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

'Why?' asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

'Well, I'm a panda', he says, at the door. 'Look it up.'

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. 'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back