Preventing springing edges in folded paperboard boxes

lexignot

Hello!

I am trying to understand why the behavior of the edges of my sample compared to the example from a competitor is different. The two boxes are both four-corner cardboard bakery boxes sold folded. When I unfold my sample, the edges tend to spring back to their original folded position instead of staying straight like the example (see videos links below). We can see on the videos the example box tends to unfold naturally while our sample tends to stay folded.

My sample is made with 350g paperboard, and I think the example box with 400-450g paperboard.

Do you know why the behavior is radically different (i.e. paperboard type, specific creases, specific production methods, others)? Any recommendations on how to keep the edges of my sample straighter once the box is unfolded (like the example box)?

For the example box it seems like the neutral position of the panels is upright, and then the box is folded "manually" for transport, so the memory of the panels is in the upright position. Whereas for my sample, the neutral position of the panels is folded and then the box is unfolded manually, so the memory of the panels is the folded position.

Please let me know if this makes sense and if it's doable during the manufacturing process at creating the creases?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

My Sample

Example

Theirs has paperclips holding the flaps in position so they don't "spring" back into the folded position. I have a similar style box that we use for business card packaging and it always springs the same way when you unfold it. It's not a solvable problem with that style of box.

Hello - Thanks for your answers, that's helpful. @SteveSuffRIT do you think the size and number of perforations have an impact? In my case I have a higher number of small perforations compared to the Example.

A packaging structural designer or die maker should be able to answer that. I think a higher number of smaller perfs will be "stiffer" and have more memory. A folding carton packing QC lab often has a machine to measure force to open & close folds.
Also, on the folder/gluer, how much of a prebreak fold are they using, and how tight are the cartons packed in the case, and how long have they been in the case.

Thanks @SteveSuffRIT for your answer. Yes just by keeping the box unfolded a few hours/days I have a very different behavior. The packaging and how boxes are stored seem to be the main drivers here. Thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back