Purchasing a Used Indigo

AP90

Hey guys, been looking around for a press for what we need. Ive gotten some samples from an Indigo and they are impressive. We have also received the pricing of the Indigo and they are proud of their machines, but honestly it wasn't as bad as I though it would be. We could swing it, but I just have a problem with being locked into a 5 year lease with anything really. My main reasoning wanting to buy used is because if it is something that my company does not want to, I can swing the price of a used machine. I can't be locked into a 5 year contract with something that isn't going to work out for my company. Also, buying a used machine will provide a much easier way to test if we can make it work.

With the indigo being inkjet and how they are built, it seems like they will last a LONG time compared to a xerox or KM. They really are glorified copy machines. I have been looking around at some prices on a used indigo 3050 or 3500. You can find some out there with under 10 mil impressions for good prices.

Has anyone here had any experience buying a used Indigo? I know you need to be a skilled operator and all to run one, and I would be looking at doing HP's operator courses they offer. If anyone has bought one, how hard was it to get the Indigo on a service contract with HP? I have a feeling they would be pretty reluctant but I'm not really sure.

Also, does anyone go with just buying their own ink instead of getting on a click charge? Are the savings worth it do not be on a click charge? Even if you are with xerox or KM, is it worth buying your own toner, drums, ect than a click charge?

Thanks guys, I'm really enjoying using this site as an information gatherer. I would be lost in knowing what I was doing if I could not look up stuff and ask questions here!

AP90 . . .

1st a couple of ?s . . . what model are you looking at buying used or new? . .. do you have a indigo operator available for that machine? . . . the indigo is NOT a ink jet machine - we had one from 2001 to 2012 and went to a xerox 770 - way less maintenance required and the quality is fine for our customers . . not Indigo but then a ZO6 corvette would work for me over a Ferrari that costs 5X as much . . . A lot of people do just buy their own and shop "a la carte" if you are a good operator you can make that work economically but we never even thought about going off clicks or shared maintenance.

And you say, "My main reasoning wanting to buy used is because if it is something that my company does not want to" kinda makes me go ????? I only buy technology new and this is technology but depending on the machine used in this case could be viable.

If you want to PM me I know a guy that sells a lot of used indigos nationwide . . .

later:)

I have 2 Indigo 3050s for sale if you're interested. one with about 8.5 million and one with 12 million. Great machines but we moved on to Xerox.... Toner based with no imaging oil or cleaner sheets. You get more of a litho look with indigo, but in my opinion brighter more saturated color with toner based.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back