Quadient/Rena/iJetColor/Colordyne/Formax Users - Do your ink cartridges run out early?

ReproElectroProspero

We have a Formax ColorMax 8, which is just an AstroMachines S1 inkjet printer rebranded. Quadient, Rena, iJet, Colordyne, and Formax all have printers that are just the Astro S1 but rebranded.

I am very curious as to the state of your ink cartridges when your machines determine it's time to replace them. I just got done replacing two black cartridges and I can hear at least 30-40 mL sloshing around in the "empty" cartridges. Considering these carts hold 250mL and cost nearly $400 each, that's like leaving $50 on the table each time you replace one.

I understand that inkjet systems generally report a cartridge as empty before it's actually is _completely_ empty to prevent dry runs, so I figure this is likely fairly normal behavior. It just seems like much more is left in the cartridge than I'm used to with other inkjets. I'm curious if your experiences mirror this, and if anyone is aware of any potential causes of premature empty readings.

Thanks for your insights!

You may have an issue with the sensor that measures the ink levels.

On the carts on the end that goes into the unit, there is a "window" that shows the level of ink. It could be dirty. Or the sensor in the unit could be dirty too. Check both and clean them both to see if that helps.

We've had that issue in the past.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back