Rip problems with Konica Minolta Bizhub Pro c5501 with Fiery ic408 controller

goose

Hey everyone, Thanks in advance for any help. We are a small print shop that just bought a bizhub pro c5501 from a second hand dealer here in nyc. We got a service contract on it, and I'm going to call them about this tomorrow, but so far our experience hasn't been very good, and I'd like to have some idea of what's happening before this call.

So.

We have had this machine for a few days, and most of the time when we send a job, the machine will tell us to "load (whatever size) color specific 81-105 gms in (whatever tray we sent the job to)

This is regardless of what paper setting we choose on the advanced options in the print menu. (thick1, thick2 etc.) Then if we go into the paper setting on the machine and tell it that the paper it's requesting is where it is requesting it, it will usually still not work. It will display that the paper it's requesting is where it is requesting it, but still I cant get it to print the damn thing, no matter what I do. The only success we've had is just shutting it down repeatedly and sending jobs repeatedly. It seems like once it starts printing it has no more problems. I feel like there is some problem in the way the pc is communicating with the server, or the server to the printer. Is there a way to make sure all the firmware and software is all what it needs to be? Is there something obvious that Im missing? Thanks for you're time!

Are your paper options in the print software actually things like 'thick1'?
I send from Fiery Command Work Station and the paper options I have correspond exactly with what I have available on my C5501. It took me a bit of getting the hang of after being a Xerox user.
Whilst this might not be of help to you trust me it is a good machine and if you're on a service contract at least you can rest assured they will get it sorted. I've had mine for about 4 years now and after a recent thorough service it's still running like a brand new machine.

Hi goose,

Have you checked that there are no Custom paper settings for that particular tray set in the bizhub interface, although it says 8.5 x 11 if it is set to a Custom size setting it will not print. Hit the standard paper size for that tray and let the machine figure it out. We were caught a few times by this and its extremely frustrating, Hope that helps.

This is called a "paper mismatch," and it's a common error with digital printers and MFPs. After changing the paper in the tray, you must go to the machine console and define the paper you put in, by three parameters: size, weight, and type. Size usually comes from the position of the guides in the tray (or you may have to select it); weight and type, you have to select. There may be other settings, too, but these are not as important.

Once you have defined the paper in the tray, then in the print driver's job properties, you must select the same exact size, weight, and type. (The size usually defaults to the page setup size of your document, so you are mostly concerned with weight and type.) If you do this correctly, you do not have to select the tray number in the job properties; let the machine find the paper in whatever tray you have defined it.

So, judging by your account of what's happening, you may have matched up weight between the tray definition on the machine and the job setup in the driver . . . but did you do the same for paper type ("color specific")?

Also, for good measure, make sure the paper size in the job properties matches the paper size in your tray definition. And one last thing, set the tray selection to "auto," because explicitly indicating the tray doesn't usually solve a paper mismatch.

Hope this helps!

Also, for good measure, make sure the paper size in the job properties matches the paper size in your tray definition. And one last thing, set the tray selection to "auto," because explicitly indicating the tray doesn't usually solve a paper mismatch.

It was our experience with a Fiery driven KM6500 that tray selection "Auto" was not a good idea. Even with all the parameters set correctly, "Auto" more often than not generated a paper mismatch error.

The real answer is to use the Fiery's Paper Catalog.

Yep, paper tray has to match exactly what you have set from the RIP or you'll see that error. I'm just guessing, but when you mentioned "color specific" that jumped out at me and is it possible that in your paper settings for that tray at the machine you have it programmed for "non-white" compared to "white" for the paper??? This would be my first guess. Hope that clears it up and good luck!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back