Screen page hot folder

G_Town

Is there a file name limitation when screening using a hot folder? I have done many 1-ups thru a hot folder but the job I am working on now won't work (comes up with can't find image error even though I have the folder defined in the open artpro module).

The only diff I can see is that the images have file names with longer names then usual like this : 10546_8C_6f_smpƒ.tif

Thanks

Re: Screen page hot folder

I've experienced a filename limitation when trying to open a PSTI file in Insight from within Nexus. I then did a right click on the job in the job list and chose 'Reveal', which revealed the job folder and the names, which were truncated. However, I haven't had a problem with the filename when screening. Have you checked the template in the problem module and manually give it a shorter name length limitation (or perhaps told it to use PMS instead of PANTONE, which would shorten the name a little)? Then retry the module? It might work. Hope this helps.

Don

Actually, looking at the filename you've given, do you have other filenames with the funny f at the end before the extension? Maybe that character is the problem?

Don

This SP WF is set up to open Artpro file/print file/mergeoppo/interpretPS/assemble screen page/copy file

Problem happens when open Artpro file can't find the images in the folder I specified.

I thought that funny F was the problem but I have others without it and it still bombs thats why I thought there must be some kind of file length limit?

I just knwo I have had a problem opening a file from within the workflow when the name on the original was too long, and I had to open it manually. So the short answer is yes there are limitations, and if the name is getting shortened using a tilde, it won't open except manually from the finder and then choosing the CT (which is truncated itself). Of course I'm talking about a ripped file where you're talking about an ArtPro file. I would shorten the name to a very short name (keep the strange f in there just for a test) and see if it will work. If it doesn't, remove the strange f, keep the filename short and try again. I think when I tried to come up with limitations for Nexus for file name length, I counted backwards from what the limitation is, subtracted the longest PMS name I could and four for dot and extension, and came up with (I think) 19 characters that my filename could be throughout my workflow (which still has the tilde/non opening problem at times, so I figure it's the length of the original name that's causing it).

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back